How long should I keep using scuba gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAGELLAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all, my wife and I have been diving for over 10 years and all our gear is over 10 years old. So, I'm thinking about buying new stuff, but I like a lot of what I have and it's all still functional - for now.... I was just wondering what other's thoughts were on how long to hang on to gear? For example, I love my Zeagle Escape, which is no longer made, but how long would you feel safe using a BC?

Thanks,

If it aint broke....

Verify that it aint broke before using it! Inflate the BCD orally, soap it up and look for bubbles. Take it in to a LDS and ask to connect to an 'empty' tank. Take the opportunity to service the reg at the same time. Don't get sold on buying a new BCD if the old one works.

As long as you or some else services and/or checks it regularly I wouldn't be buying new gear unless you want to. For the most part gear is gear and doesn't change all that much, certainly functionality anyway. I'm with supergaijin, if it ain't broke....

My 20 year old Zeagle bcd is still going and so are my 21 year old fins.
My mask is only 19 years old though because I lost my first mask.
You can keep using your equipment as long as it's still safe. Check it for damage or wear and have things fixed or replaced. As long as you take care of your equipment it can last for many many years.

It's amazing how well gear lasts if you take even moderate care of it. If your BC is something you like, and it holds air, and you've had the inflator serviced, there is no reason to replace it.

Unless you want a backplate and wing, of course . . . (Sorry, I just HAD to say it!)

One more vote for if it works for you and it isn't broke then there is no reason to replace it. The newest, fanciest stuff isn't necessarily the best for you. K.I.S.S. Maintain your gear and it will last longer than you want it to. Just remember, new or old, test the gear before using

---------- Post added June 22nd, 2013 at 10:48 PM ----------

Unless you want a backplate and wing, of course . . . (Sorry, I just HAD to say it!)
Touche. :D

I use a reg that's 53 years old and it works as good or better than the day it was new.
BC's could wear out I suppose if the fabric starts to breakdown and you get leaks. But if it was kept out of sunlight and didn't have something laying on it or stuffed into a box to leave weird fold marks or pressure spots it probably is fine.
And of course if you cleaned it well after each use.

FWIW I'm a bit of a time capsule: I use gear 'til it no longer serves its purpose. Regulators, mask, fins date from the 80's, other gear from the 90's, dry suit new---but essentially the same as the one I bought in '89. My GoPro's and lights are new, but are mounted on a tray I DIY'ed 25 to 30 years ago. I bought a computer for the first time last year, but still check it against the linearised depth+time<120 Navy dive tables I used to use.

A lot of us "outgrow" our first gear purchases because we buy what I think of as learner gear. I know I did. I wanted gear, but I wasn't sure I was going to be doing enough diving to warrant spending the money on gear that was the best for the sort of diving I was doing--and this is where TSandM's comment makes sense: if you're wanting a different sort of gear, it doesn't matter how old your original stuff is. Before long I realized I'd be doing a lot of diving, so I bought all new stuff that matched my needs better, and I gave my old stuff to my daughter, who dives infrequently and doesn't care as much about the specific functions of different elements of the gear. I've been using my current reg set for 12 years. I used a BCD for 8 years of recreational diving (with lots of use as a dive professional) before a part of it wore out that couldn't be repaired. I've just bought some brand new stuff over the past few weeks, but it's for an entirely different style of diving, so I am confident that I'll still be using the "old" stuff very frequently for quite some time. (The new stuff is sidemount equipment, and the old stuff is backmount.)

So if you haven't outgrown your equipment and you still like the functionality of it for the sort of diving you do, there's no reason for you to invest in new gear. Take that money and go diving instead!

Keep the gear until you cannot get parts. if you have your gear serviced (instead of doing it yourself) get rid of it when the techs are so young that they have never seen it before. If they don't know what it is, get new techs. I'm still using 1970's stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom