How long of a layover in Houston en route to Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rye_a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are planning a trip from Denver to Bonaire and have the choice of a 1 hour or a 4 hour layover in Houston. I haven't traveled internationally much through Houston, so does anyone know how much time is necessary or advisable for a connecting flight?

1 hour might get tight if there are any delays getting into Houston. The flight to Bonair leaves at midnight so I would think opting for the 4 hour delay would have little practical impact on your overall travel day.

Just keep reminding yourself, you should be diving by noon time after you arrive.

Enjoy.

My heart says 1, my head says 4.

I've made a lot of trips with 1 hour connect times, mostly successful. But there's a lot of worry involved.:wink:

we have a 4 hour layover. It is a nice evening relaxing, eating a relaxing dinner there (lots of nice restaurants at the airport including Papadeauxs), then read a book until flight. All the other people on the flight gather there for several hours, chatting, too. It really isn't a bad thing.

robin --- Bonaire this weekend!!!

I would not do the hour lay over - if you miss your flight you miss your vacation.

Minimal reward for tremendous risk!

Just booked the 4 hour option. We will just need to get into island time a little early...

Thanks for all the info!

Gawd, no brainer. Since you don't have backup flights, early is great. Also safer for bag transfers.

Take it from someone who travels >100k miles a year...

Dive trip or not, 1hr is not sufficient time for a layover in Houston. Unless everything goes perfectly, the likelihood of both you AND your luggage making it from one plane to the other in time is fairly low.

You probably have this covered, but Houston has 2 airports.

Most flights are through Bush Intercontinental (code IAH), but some flights are through Hobby (HOU) [including IIRC Southwest from Denver]

We live in Houston. I suspect you are flying out of GB Interconteniental. Take the 4 hour layover. There is plenty to fool around with in the meantime. One hour is way to close for this airport. Besides - there is a great diveshop about 15 mintues from the airport should you need any last toys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom