how long is a dive computer suppose to last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tachyon:
My Suunto Eon is still going strong after 12 years. Needs a new battery every couple of years, but other than that it's been a gem. I'm about to replace it with a Suunto Cobra which has two things that appeal to this old diver... A backlight and it supports Nitrox. Since nobody was interested in the Eon and interface, it's going in my spare equipment bag, and it may wind up being part of a complete spare system since I'm considering upgrading my regs, too.

Tachyon

Ditto here. I've been diving with my Suunto Solution for 13 years and using a Suunto Companion as my backup for 10 years. Still love 'em. The most they ever differ is 1ft and that can be explained by where they are positioned on my rig.

Had an issue with the Solution after about 8 years - wasn't reading depth correctly. Took it to my LDS, Suunto said send it in, the fixed the sensor and all I was out was the shipping. Has worked beautifully every since.

I'll be buying a used Suunto Cobra soon simply because I want NITROX capability. The backlight feature will be nice, too! Could care less whether it's air integrated. & when I'm not using NITROX I'll still be diving with two computers with identical algorithms.

Paula

My son and I are still diving the Oceanic air computers we bought 12 years ago, but I wouldn't buy another Oceanic computer. For explanation, see the thread about the battery compartment flooding.

When the case cracked, did you test it to see if it still worKed?

I'm using an Oceanic Datamax Sport that I bought in '93. May buy another when I feel I can justify a nitrox 'puter.

I haven't done my open water dives yet. I was going to get the batteries replaced in a suunto solution that belongs to my brother but my instructor said that it would be better to just get a new computer since the algorythms are better and since they have so many more features now and are still easy to use. For what they do, basic dive computers seem cheap. Bought a pair of Gekkos for my wife and myself.

littlewaywelt:
I haven't done my open water dives yet. I was going to get the batteries replaced in a suunto solution that belongs to my brother but my instructor said that it would be better to just get a new computer since the algorythms are better and since they have so many more features now and are still easy to use. For what they do, basic dive computers seem cheap. Bought a pair of Gekkos for my wife and myself.

Hope you don't mind if I use your case to illustrate a point wrt when to upgrade...

1. I did a little quick research and didn't find info on which algorithm the Solution used, but Suunto's site says that they went to RGBM in1999. If the Solution dates from before that, my guess is it had Haldanian? Either way, I personally wouldn't have worried about it. You can probably get a larger safety factor from changing risk level settings, implementing 'deep stops,' or just not 'pushing the tables' than from buying a new comp in order to get a new algorithm.

2. Did you compare the features? If the Solution was 'air only' (it appears that they had separate air and nitrox versions), then that would have been reason for me to upgrade. Otherwise, I'm a little leery of 'new features,' only because most electronics now come with a ton of features I never use, so I would have to weigh any new features against how often I would use them (if at all) and ease of use overall, before I would fork over several hundred dollars.

3. Keeping in mind that most instructors are forced into the role of salesman, as well, I wouldn't base the decision on "my instructor said the algorithms and features are better," but that's just me. Also, two out of the three instructors I've had for cert classes were teaching (or at least suggesting) procedures that could get people hurt. I just mention that to say that I don't trust any single individual when it comes to my safety underwater. I'm a big fan of personal research, and 'proving for yourself' what anyone says.

I'm sure that there are other factors in your decision. For instance I assume even if you used your brother's Solution you would have wanted one for your wife. Having identical computers (so we each know the other's computer) would have been more than enough justification in my mind for buying rather than borrowing. Like I said, I just wanted to use your case to illustrate some of my opinions.

I am gonna say the Solution is modified Haldanian. My instruction book calls it "low bubble" and states it is slightly more conservative than your standard navy tables of the day. There is no mention of RGBM. My Solution still works like new, but I finally wrecked my SME-ml earlier this year; left a dead battery in it too long, it leaked, and good-bye vintage dive computer. One of these days I'll upgrade but for now it ain't broke, battery replacement is user friendly, and people don't laugh too loudly at my 3 guage console (it's clipped) so.....

02BF, thanks for the insight.

My instructor seemed very forthwritght and I think had something like 10-15k dives under his belt. He and his staff added hours to our couse to make it "safer." I do trust his judgement. He didn't have anything financial to gain from the suggestion as he wouldn't have sold me the computer I wanted as he doesnt carry suunto.

Re algorithms I tried over three emails to get suunto to comment on it, but they wouldn't. in the end, I just felt it made common sense to assume that the technology, sampling rate, and formulas would improve over 10-15 years. If you're saying they haven't much, I can only say wow. I certainly understand that it would make a greater difference by not pushing the tables, so-to-speak.

I looked at the manual on line and the new suunto seemed pretty simple to use, and information easilly presented/interpretated. As someone that will never dive more than one short trip per year, I wasn't interested in getting something to grow into that has a ton of features I'll never use or can remember how to use.

I used a Oceanic Datamax II for 14 years. It did not have user replaceable batteries. I finally saw "low battery" last fall. Unfortunately, Oceanic doesn't replace batteries on that model anymore so I had to buy a new one. I liked the old Oceanic so much I bought a new one. Sure hope the new one holds up as well as the old one.

I do know that the old Oceanic was more conservative than other dive buddies computers. I liked that.

By the way - I do 50-70 dives a year. That's a lot of use on the old computer.

Well my Mares Nemo did a grand total of 14 dives over 14 months before it shat itself. As it was over 12 months old the Australian Importer would not warranty it.

Cheers
Chriso

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom