how long is a dive computer suppose to last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
im just curious how long the usefull life of a dive computer is? are they meant to last or are they suppose to be replaced after several years? just wondering if you guys replace them after x number of years

Don't know, but I've been using my Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus for over 6 years.

the K

My spouse uses a USD Divers Matrix Master that has been in service for the last 10 years.

Normally one of three things happen to cause a dive computer to be retired. .

1) The algorithym the computer uses falls out of favor either by being replaced by something substantially better or by being viewed as unsafe based on experience with it.

2) The diver moves up to a new computer with additonal features.

3) The computer dies of old age and quits, develops a significant depth error, becomes a battery hog, or floods and cannot be repaired due to discontinued support for the computer.

So if your computer still works, still gives an accurate depth reading and still meets your specific needs, there is no real need to replace it.

I had to send my oceanic back to the factory for calibration earlier this year because it thought I was above 14k feet when I turned it on. I don't know how much they fall out of calibration, but I wear two computers and check that both are reading similarly.

DA Aquamaster:
My spouse uses a USD Divers Matrix Master that has been in service for the last 10 years.

Normally one of three things happen to cause a dive computer to be retired. .

1) The algorithym the computer uses falls out of favor either by being replaced by something substantially better or by being viewed as unsafe based on experience with it.

2) The diver moves up to a new computer with additonal features.

3) The computer dies of old age and quits, develops a significant depth error, becomes a battery hog, or floods and cannot be repaired due to discontinued support for the computer.

So if your computer still works, still gives an accurate depth reading and still meets your specific needs, there is no real need to replace it.

thats comforting to know. im happy with my dive rite nitek duo. its the most user friendly computer ever and i hope it lasts through the years.

A dive computer is good as long as it has the features you need.

Had a Beuchat in a console last over 1000 dives from 1984 until it finally died after 6-7 batteries in 1999.

I have had my original air computer since 1992. I use it as a back up/loaner.
My first nitrox computer just bit the dust. Case cracked on it while trying to change the battery. picked that one up in 1998, so got a good 7 years out of it.
Just picked up a vytec. that one should lat me a good long time.

The Battery Life is suppose to last anywear from 5years to 9 years. As far as the computer itself. at least 10, but that also depends on the unit manufacturer.

My Suunto Eon is still going strong after 12 years. Needs a new battery every couple of years, but other than that it's been a gem. I'm about to replace it with a Suunto Cobra which has two things that appeal to this old diver... A backlight and it supports Nitrox. Since nobody was interested in the Eon and interface, it's going in my spare equipment bag, and it may wind up being part of a complete spare system since I'm considering upgrading my regs, too.

Tachyon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom