• Newbie - my gear is still brightly coloured and scuff free

Votes: 26 19.0%
  • Reasonable length of time - none of my gear matches any more

Votes: 24 17.5%
  • Quite a while - long enough to forget and relearn how to use tables

Votes: 45 32.8%
  • Long time - I remember when the first horse collar BCDs came in

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Forever - I remember using double hose regulators!

Votes: 24 17.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another echo similar to captain and Thalassamania, but a few years later.

In 1960 when I was 16 my buddy's father bought an Aqualung and read the pamphlet. We had never heard of buddy systems, or certifications. We had a mask, fins, a cylinder, a double hose regulator, some weights and straps. We drove to Ocean City, NJ, launched our aluminum rowboat, rowed out a ways and anchored. The three of us took turns. My dive was around 15 minutes in about 15 feet of water. We were only in bathing suits, so I came up shivering. I didn’t see much, but was hooked. 23 years and an unknown number of dives later I got certified; but then only because air was becoming hard to get, even overseas.

First dive was in a pool back in 1980, eventually got around to getting certified in 2000 and never looked back. I have since learned that inventorying your dive gear for the sake of seeing your investment brings on bouts of chest pain. Lol.

Kenny

Hell I almost got arrested there!

I thought I was old time...but the 50's diving...Wow I was just drooling over Sea Hunt then!

Another echo similar to captain and Thalassamania, but a few years later.

In 1960 when I was 16 my buddy's father bought an Aqualung and read the pamphlet. We had never heard of buddy systems, or certifications. We had a mask, fins, a cylinder, a double hose regulator, some weights and straps. We drove to Ocean City, NJ, launched our aluminum rowboat, rowed out a ways and anchored. The three of us took turns. My dive was around 15 minutes in about 15 feet of water. We were only in bathing suits, so I came up shivering. I didnÃÕ see much, but was hooked. 23 years and an unknown number of dives later I got certified; but then only because air was becoming hard to get, even overseas.

I remember as a teenager looking threw magazines and catalogs at dive gear. Anyone could order dive gear, no questions asked. No LDS; everything I started with was mail order, cause there was no other choice where I was.

I thought I was old time...but the 50's diving...Wow I was just drooling over Sea Hunt then!

Ya, I think Sea Hunt is responsible for quite a few of us getting hooked back then!

I would fit somewhere between quite a while and long time. When I started my training the horse collar BCDs were still in use and the big advancement was the jacket style. I remember diving without a computer or an octopus and my bc was bright orange and had a CO2 cartridge.
a lot like that. I dove with friends still using horse collars and my instructor had a new Scubapro stab jacket with a CO2 cartridge. We had octos but still learned buddy breathing in OW.

Got my cert in 1988/89. Did some dives off and on. When my children posed an interest into diving four years ago, I got back into diving with more frequency so that when they became old enough to dive, we could do it as a family outing. I have been assisting with classes at one of our local dive shops and love it.

Since 1961. No SPGs (until 1982), BCDs (until 1989) or computer (until 1999). Loved the big "Jim Bowie" knife on my leg... but I never had to use it for what I bought it for... either to stab that approaching great white, or my dive buddy so I could outswim him (few hers back then).

Started in 60. NAUI certified in 62 and still going. Who remembers what John Camern Swayze used to say? :wink:

Gary D.

If there were a choice between newbie and reasonable length of time I would have chosen that...but with the choices given I went with newbie. Got certified in July 2007 and have almost 50 ocean dives now.

I still have a loooooooong way to go until I consider myself a solid diver...but I've also come quite a ways from when I was a true "newbie"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom