• Newbie - my gear is still brightly coloured and scuff free

Votes: 26 19.0%
  • Reasonable length of time - none of my gear matches any more

Votes: 24 17.5%
  • Quite a while - long enough to forget and relearn how to use tables

Votes: 45 32.8%
  • Long time - I remember when the first horse collar BCDs came in

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Forever - I remember using double hose regulators!

Votes: 24 17.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got certified (NAUI) back in 1994, did about 50 dives over the next 2 years, then I started high school. Didn't dive at all during school. Graduated and joined the Navy. The first 7 or 8 years in the Navy, I didn't dive at all. Now I've started diving again, took my AOW a few months back, and now doing 2-3 dives a week, sometimes more when I'm lucky. I think my wife and I have a serious nitrogen addiction now:D

Thirty years and counting. I was on a search and recovery dive in 1982 when I saw my first BCD. My partner and I thought that was a useless piece of equipment for recovery work since everything we were looking for was on the bottom.

First regulator was a Nemrod Snark II regulator. I sold it on Ebay about 10 years for vintage/antique.

My first tanks were a set of twin 50's with a fill pressure of 1800 psi without an isolator.

I found a mold and cast my own lead weights. Four, 4lb. blocks that I still use today. I teach in the first Dacor weight belt that I bought back in 1979. The black belt has faded to brown from all the chlorine.

I went through two pair of Jet fins. They actually got cancer and started to rot. If my twin jets last as long I guess I'll pass them on to my son and hopefully some grandchildren someday.

Started in 60. NAUI certified in 62 and still going. Who remembers what John Camern Swayze used to say? :wink:

Gary D.

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Funny how you remember the things from 30 plus years ago but can't remember a meeting from last week.

39 years.
When I write it down it makes me feel old.

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Funny how you remember the things from 30 plus years ago but can't remember a meeting from last week.

Good job JB. You get the prize. :rofl3:

Gary D.

Made my first dive in 1956, two hose regulator, no instruction, no SPG, no BC available, you just read the book ... Hey! Is there an echo in here?

Actually my Dad helped me read it (The Science of Skin and Scuba) but I helped re-write it (The New Science of Skin and Scuba).:D

That was the book we used in 1980 when I got certified ymca at the local college,still have the book. We used a horse collar for the checkout dive,dove without one after that,could not afford one,no pressure gauge,j valve,single hose reg bare. I am thinking about making up a setup like that again. I need to get another back pack,my old us divers one cracked and broke about 10 years ago.

Was looking at the remains of my old "J" valve tank and pack yesterday. Thinking how much I now wish I had put a higher priority on where I stored that older gear.
Lost a barn to lightning strike/fire a while back; where all my spare and antique motorcycle parts, tools and my older retired dive gear was stored. Just settled with with ins. co. at the end of the summer and now that it's spring I have to clean up and remove the rubble. My first scuba tank looks pretty sad laying there in all the destruction!

Between the ruined dive gear, Indian motorcycle, and my grandfather's antique woodworking tools a lot of memories are laying there, now just twisted melted rubbish. Cracked the valve open a hair, just to see if it was melted too, and wouldn't you know it that old tank is still holding some pressure after all it's been threw!

You certainly bring back fond memories: I can remember making wetsuits in the back of Dive n' surf on Pacific Coast Highway while the guys shaped surfboards and filled bottles. Dana Point didn't have a breakwater (later turned into a parking lot) Palos Verdes was a great place to catch Lobster and abalone, You could dive the horseshoe in Redondo for crabs and fishing gear. Early diving Catalina and Santa Barbara Islands... and of course the double fifty two's with no isolation valve, tons of lead and the notorious "J" valve.... Yep you pull this valve when you run out of air and....Rats.....I am out of air who filled my bottles with the lever in the wrong position? Who could afford a May west? Replace this hot water bottle... I think not for that price. I learned the Dive tables from the Navy manual which I still use today courtesy of the County of Los Angeles who issued my first Certificate in 72'. All classes were held in the bottom of the pool with a chalk board 8' by 4' and a grease pencil prior to open water beach dives from Catalina - one certificate did it all... those were the days. I certainly love my dual regulators, H valve, High pressure bottles, backplate, and wings that I dive today thank's to a bunch of great pioneers who led the way. As to the multiple C cards that's another story....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom