How long did it take you to become comfortable in a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It took me about 15 minutes to get my weighting right and about 10 minutes after that to get used to the feeling of warmth (this was in Nova Scotia in March so water temps were mid-low 30s and I had been diving wet prior to that). Didn't take a class, just had a buddy mentor me. We were diving in a small fishing village's harbour. Oh, and no BC. I ditched it and just used the drysuit for buoyancy, as was the fashion of the time.

A while. About 25 dives, maybe. Damn thing leaked like a bastard, which did not help, and of course I had one or two glorious feet-first ascents, which did little for my confidence. There were several moments when I regretted buying it, but it was a necessity, so I sucked it up and kept plugging away (bitching all the while, of course). Lots of dreary quarry dives before I felt comfortable enough to bring it in the caves. Now it's gotten to the stage when I don't think about diving the suit, but I did not take to it like a duck to water. A duck to acid, maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I felt comfortable in my dry suit on the first dive.
Proficiency is another matter.

OP,
What are you using for the rest of your kit? A backplate and wing? A back inflation BC or a jacket style BC? Weight integrated or a weight belt? As several others have said, I too think you are under weighted. If you are not using your BC at all and adding just enough air to get the squeeze off making you neutral, you need more weight. Are you using ankle weights? I wear two pound ankle weights on each leg. Plus my drysuit has leg gaiters to keep to much air from settling in my legs adding to the problem of feet up postures. Try making some changes and give it about a dozen or so dives to get the feel. I know it took about that many for me. B.

backplate and wing, i have a p weight of 4kilos attached to the plate, steel euro cylinder 12 litre 232bar, no weight belt. i'm going to be taking it out again soon to check the neck seal which i trimmed.

also going to do a proper weekend diving trip to the farne islands in september. sure will be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom