How know what is happened with hijacked Indian Ocean Explorer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muha

Registered
Reaction score
How know what is happened with hijacked Indian Ocean Explorer live-aboard scuba diving boat?

2 Apr 2009 — A live-aboard scuba diving tourist boat popular with British diving enthusiasts carrying a crew of seven has been boarded by Somali pirates near the Seychelles, hundreds of miles from the hijackers' lair on the East African coast

CDNN :: Pirates Attack, Hijack Live-Aboard Scuba Diving Boat

Actually I wanted to book diving with them just several mouths before Indian Ocean Explorer was hijacked. I can’t fiend any information.

With best regards!

national enquirer anyone?

cdnn is blocked here so I can't even see the cdnn site . . . :hm: maybe theres reason for it . . .

interesting to know what they say :D Thanks Randy!

You could always just google or yahoo indian ocean explorer seychelles.

I just did that in yahoo and the 7th hit is yachtpals.com.

Scrolling down the page to one of the updates, here is a quote;

yachtpals.com:
SEYCHELLES PIRACY UPDATE June 22, 2009:
Seychelles Boat Indian Ocean Explorer Released by Pirates
The Seychellois seafarers on the boat Indian Ocean Explorer have been released from the pirates in Somalia according to Ecoterra, who say "There are conflicting stories concerning the boat, but the seafarers are safe and out."

I then yahoo'd indian ocean explorer seychelles recent news and the first hit is uk.news.yahoo.com which list the ship as probably still held by the pirates as of Sept. 14th.

yahoo news:
Here is a list of some ships believed to be still under the control of Somali pirates:

SERENITY: The catamaran sailing for Madagascar from the Seychelles with three people aboard, was seized in March 2009.

INDIAN OCEAN EXPLORER: Seized March 2009. The 35-metre boat was built in Hamburg for oceanographic research. It accommodates about 12 passengers. Pirates have freed the seven crew.

(and many more)....

Or you could be lazy and ask others to google/yahoo for you. :shakehead:

No, but looks like the same story. Perhaps the story was picked up from CDNN by other news agencies.

Nobody pics up anything from cdnn. cdnn is a maggot of a "news" site, which plagerizes stories from legitimate news sites.

So, from the two links given by Halemano, it looks like all the crew were released, but the pirates may still have the vessel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom