How is a new wetsuit supposed to feel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muralidharan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am in the market for a 5mm wetsuit for an upcoming liveaboard trip. I was visiting the US briefly and thought it would be good to try one out. Went to a local divestore and they were only stocking 500$+ wetsuits - which I reasoned were not worth it. It's just a wetsuit! They only had one in my size anyway and I tried it and it felt quite tight. It seemed particularly tight in my underarms / arms and I felt like a body builder walking around with an exaggerated walk because of overgrown lats. I simply could not bring my arms down to my side completely in a relaxed manner.

I then ordered a mares m-flex L from divers supply for about 200$. I seem to be in the middle of the weight and height guidelines for it at 88kg(194 lbs) and 183cm(6'0"). I tried it on and it was a struggle - i simply could not pull the zipper up. With some help, i managed to get the zipper to close, but the whole bodybuilder walk problem was even more pronounced in this.

I returned the wetsuit and now I'm back home thinking about what to do. I am planning to visit some local divestores in Dubai over the next few weeks to try on any 5mm wetsuits they have. On reading online, it seems like new wetsuits are supposed to fit quite tight, but I don't remember it being this much of a problem in my older 3mm. I have gained weight and muscle since I bought it though and no longer fit into it. How is a new 5mm supposed to feel when I try it on? Do I simply need to suck it up and it will get better when wet or do I need to size up?

Expect a wetsuit to be tight, and also to an extent uncomfortable in the shop. Especially if its warm, and you're sweating a bit trying on different wetsuits. You want it to be snug, and it will be more comfortable when its wet - the water will provide lubrication against your skin. The neoprene will also stretch and start to conform to your body over time. Unless they are totally the wrong size or shape, wetsuits tend to get more comfortable over time.

Fist-bump loose in the small of the back and snug everywhere else … however I wouldn’t purchase any wetsuit if it restricted my mobility and I experience too much compression. During a trial I like to do all kinds of arm and leg movements including reaching behind my neck (pretend to open a shut tank valve) and ensure my shoulders are not restricted due to tightness of the wetsuit. Being able to expand lungs without undue tightness with a full inhale is another check I do…

You didn’t mention if your LOB vacation is for warm water diving (5mm seems to be for temperate waters?) - but I am more than happy with the Scubapro 0.5mm Profile wetsuit that I ordered online without trials - thin and lightweight easy to get into and out of and more than sufficient for a 7-10 day 3 dives per day vacation without getting cold in the Indian Ocean… (Note a 0.5mm wetsuit is thicker than the 0.5 number - it possibly represents the neoprene layer only). But a 3mm is way bulkier and difficult to don in comparison.

Tip: Step out of the shower and into your wetsuit always… even on the LOB use the shower at the back of the boat on the dive platform for a quick dunk if you can …. A wetsuit slides on more easily over wet skin …

Thank you both for the advice! I will try on more wetsuits in Dubai and speak to the shops for advice on 'how tight is too tight'.

My LoB is twelve nights the Banda sea in Indonesia in October. I asked the operator for wetsuit recommendation and they said the water is generally warm at 28C but there are thermoclines that can go down to 23C. They said a lot of divers use 3mm but they would personally take a 5mm because over the course of many days and diving 3-4x every day one gets cold. So I'm going with their recommendation and shopping for a 5mm.

Just pee in it. It's always more comfortable after a good pee.

Ok ... on the serious side. Wetsuits are never comfortable dry and indoors. It shouldn't restrict your breathing nor unduly limit your range of motion, accounting for the fact that it will loosen up a good bit in the water. I find it very had to know for sure if a wetsuit fits until I dive it a time or two. Many shops have an exchange policy within a short period of time for this exact reason.

For those temps. you do not need a super tight fitting suit, especially if you get a hood. Buy a suit that is a little bigger. it will be easier to put on and and take off and more comfortable too. Assuming you are within the size and shape of off the shelf wetsuit.

I returned the wetsuit and now I'm back home thinking about what to do. I am planning to visit some local divestores in Dubai over the next few weeks to try on any 5mm wetsuits they have. On reading online, it seems like new wetsuits are supposed to fit quite tight, but I don't remember it being this much of a problem in my older 3mm. I have gained weight and muscle since I bought it though and no longer fit into it. How is a new 5mm supposed to feel when I try it on? Do I simply need to suck it up and it will get better when wet or do I need to size up?
Speaking from personal experience, a wetsuit should be snug, but not tight. A wetsuit that is too tight can be deadly. Be sure there is some elasticity. I was able to zip up a new 5 mm wetsuit with just a little work. Didn't think it was a big deal. When IPE started at 120', I fortunately recognized that something was off. By the time I surfaced I could barely breathe and a RIB was right where I needed it to be. It was definitely the wetsuit. Heart checked out just fine. Have been diving steadily since including some deep dives. All is well, however, there is always risk when diving.

"Well supported risk factors of IPE are: being over 50 years old, being a female, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) intake before diving, physical exertion prior to or during the dive, increased work of breathing (which will be affected by gas density), tight suit/equipment, cold water and arterial hypertension..."
From DAN's diver's blog March 1, 2024.

(edited for clarity)

Uni ji
Speaking from personal experience, a wetsuit should be snug, but not tight. A wetsuit that is too tight can be deadly. Be sure there is some elasticity. I was able to zip up a new 5 mm wetsuit with just a little work. Didn't think it was a big deal. When IPE started at 120', I fortunately recognized that something was off. By the time I surfaced I could barely breathe and a RIB was right where I needed it to be. It was definitely the wetsuit. Heart checked out just fine. Have been diving steadily since including some deep dives. All is well, however, there is always risk when diving.

"Well supported risk factors of IPE are: being over 50 years old, being a female, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) intake before diving, physical exertion prior to or during the dive, increased work of breathing (which will be affected by gas density), tight suit/equipment, cold water and arterial hypertension..."
From DAN's diver's blog March 1, 2024.

(edited for clarity)
That sounds super scary. Glad you've since recovered and are able to dive regularly since!

I am in the market for a 5mm wetsuit for an upcoming liveaboard trip. I was visiting the US briefly and thought it would be good to try one out. Went to a local divestore and they were only stocking 500$+ wetsuits - which I reasoned were not worth it. It's just a wetsuit! They only had one in my size anyway and I tried it and it felt quite tight. It seemed particularly tight in my underarms / arms and I felt like a body builder walking around with an exaggerated walk because of overgrown lats. I simply could not bring my arms down to my side completely in a relaxed manner.

I then ordered a mares m-flex L from divers supply for about 200$. I seem to be in the middle of the weight and height guidelines for it at 88kg(194 lbs) and 183cm(6'0"). I tried it on and it was a struggle - i simply could not pull the zipper up. With some help, i managed to get the zipper to close, but the whole bodybuilder walk problem was even more pronounced in this.

Those measurements are averages across chest waist inseam arm length and weight and height. You can fit a large or XL. Of course it needs to fit and be tight. Like a pair of socks or gloves. If it’s hard to zip you should try in different sizes, brands and models in person. Otherwise you’ll be returning them. If nothing fits you , custom suits are the same price as expensive off the rack suits.

I don't understand this thing about tight where you need to be able to inhale fully without suit resistance

How tight is a ball of string

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom