How important is a test dive before choosing a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See all the air I'm expulsing through my twin hose regulator, well that's because I am powering along pretending to chase the extra $500.00 I did not spend on the drysuit I was planning to dive over the next ten years and I am trying to get warm because I didn't buy a tailor made suit from Seaskin UK, just one bridge over the Atlantic and there you go, may as well be the same country it's from whence you came and anyway now that you've taken up stealing their princes as well, I would suggest that for a quick out of country purchase for a suit lifetime of shiver free diving comfort you will be by all of us and by all those from above and importantly yourself, mostly forgiven

full

Sorry to be contrarian. There's no such thing as a perfect drysuit but I would stay stay away from trilaminate unless you are traveling.

Properly fitted crushed neoprene is smoother and more flexible (less drag), more durable, more inherent insulation (thinner undergarments, greater mobility) with a minimal buoyancy shift at depth.

My custom trilam suit was generally cold (i could tolerate it but it was definitely not comfortable unless i went 400g thinsulate which killed the range of motion), invariably damp from pinhole leaks and required a lot more effort to swim.

My crushed neoprene back entry fits and swims like a wetsuit. The main drawback is that i need help zipping and unzipping.
This is my opinion as well. Shell suits certainly have a target demographic, but I think many divers who mainly dive in NOT near-freezing water, within recreation limits would actually be more well suited and prefer a neoprene drysuit.

There is a post on here about the Frogman suit. Look it over. I have seen the suit in RL and it looks good and it seems to be pretty bulletproof. If I had not already had my Santi I would have gotten it. Still looking to get one for my backup suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom