How important is a test dive before choosing a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a used suit listing notes “zipper replacement needed,” run far away. That can run into the hundreds of dollars.

Thank you all for sharing! Great info.
The water here (Lake Champlain) is cold, it looks like shell/ trilam is the way to go. With the zebra mussels everywhere, It'll have to have good protection against tears and cuts.

Cost of DUI seals is a total ripoff!

Also makes it easier to turn the suit inside out to dry should it get wet inside.

My first drysuit was a DUI, never again!
DUI Silicon Zip Seals are just over double the cost of silicon seals for my Si-Tech Slaggo/Orust system. I personally think the DUI system is quicker to change than the Si-Tech system with all the clips.

In 9 years I have replaced two Neck seals and four wrist seals on my DUI. I average about 100 dives a year in the DUI. Averaged out that is $51 a year for the DUI seals versus $25 a year for the equivalent Si-Tech system seals. That is not enough cost difference to move my decision one way or the other between the two systems.

If I was replacing a set a year I am sure I would feel differently, but so far, the seals have held up well.

From DRIS online...

Silicon Wrist ZIP Seals - $98
Silicon ZIP Neck Seal - $138
Total: $228

Silicon Wrist Seals - $53
Silicon Neck Seal - $60
Total: $113

While I much prefer the cost of the SiTech seals, the SiTech neck rings covered too much of my narrow shoulders and restricted movement even on land. The DUI neck ZipSeal ring is so much better. Doesn’t get in the way.

DUI Silicon Zip Seals are just over double the cost of silicon seals for my Si-Tech Slaggo/Orust system. I personally think the DUI system is quicker to change than the Si-Tech system with all the clips.

In 9 years I have replaced two Neck seals and four wrist seals on my DUI. I average about 100 dives a year in the DUI. Averaged out that is $51 a year for the DUI seals versus $25 a year for the equivalent Si-Tech system seals. That is not enough cost difference to move my decision one way or the other between the two systems.

If I was replacing a set a year I am sure I would feel differently, but so far, the seals have held up well.

From DRIS online...

Silicon Wrist ZIP Seals - $98
Silicon ZIP Neck Seal - $138
Total: $228

Silicon Wrist Seals - $53
Silicon Neck Seal - $60
Total: $113
SiTech Cuff seal SILFLEX Cone (pair) - Seaskin Drysuits Shop - Purchase Drysuit Supplies wrist seals, 23 dollars for the pair.

SiTech Neck seal SILFLEX - Seaskin Drysuits Shop - Purchase Drysuit Supplies neck seal, 28 dollars.

Thank you all for sharing! Great info.
The water here (Lake Champlain) is cold, it looks like shell/ trilam is the way to go. With the zebra mussels everywhere, It'll have to have good protection against tears and cuts.

@TzTz ,

One of the decisions you will need to make is the type of drysuit seals. I chose neoprene fold-under neck and wrist seals. Pro: Extremely tough (i.e., you probably will "never" need to replace them) and warm. Con: You will wear wet gloves/mitts and a wet hood (which "wear" colder).

My suit is DUI crushed neoprene, which is much, much tougher than shell/tri-lam (butyl rubber and nylon). I chose my suit intending to do extended-range, Great Lakes shipwreck diving involving penetration. I have never holed my suit, never had to patch it.

Also, I chose to go custom because I wanted a close-fitting suit that provided the optimum shoulder mobility. (I wanted to manage the smallest "bubble" possible.)

Many things to consider when choosing a suit. As suggested earlier, think carefully about the type of diving you expect to be doing in your suit. And get some input from people who actively do that type of diving.

rx7diver

If a used suit listing notes “zipper replacement needed,” run far away. That can run into the hundreds of
While I much prefer the cost of the SiTech seals, the SiTech neck rings covered too much of my narrow shoulders and restricted movement even on land. The DUI neck ZipSeal ring is so much better. Doesn’t get in the way.
New version of Sitech neck ring is much better but Zipseal is the nicest. Ideal combo would be Zipseal for neck and Kubi system for wrists. DUI’s cost to quality ratio has been ridiculously off for years now.

New version of Sitech neck ring is much better but Zipseal is the nicest. Ideal combo would be Zipseal for neck and Kubi system for wrists. DUI’s cost to quality ratio has been ridiculously off for years now.

I’ve had absolutely no trouble with my suit other than the Apeks low profile dump which is a known issue. I know a number of others who’ve bought DUI high end suits the past couple of years, and they’ve had no issues either.

they're better for slightly warmer conditions.
Just making sure I understand,
Is it because you can dive it with no undergarment, or for other reasons?

My local shop offers mostly DUI and Aqualung. Both have many good options, but in the 1500-2000 range, I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend this much.
I will keep looking and thinking.

I’ve had absolutely no trouble with my suit other than the Apeks low profile dump which is a known issue. I know a number of others who’ve bought DUI high end suits the past couple of years, and they’ve had no issues either.
Glad to hear you’ve had good luck. I know a few divers that have bought Flex Extremes in the last 4-5 years and will never buy DUI again. Boots falling apart, knee pads coming off, pinhole leaks, etc. Hopefully quality has gotten better last few years.

Back
Top Bottom