How Hard is TDI Nitrox Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DudleyNMU

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys how hard is the TDI Nitrox Course i am taking my course this weekend and was wondering how hard it is. Anything to watch for or is it pretty shelf explanitory? Thanks Divers any help would be good.

If its the basic nitrox its incredible simple and only takes a few hours.

Its just common sense and simple maths regarding partial pressures which you should already be familiar with.

DudleyNMU:
Hey guys how hard is the TDI Nitrox Course i am taking my course this weekend and was wondering how hard it is. Anything to watch for or is it pretty shelf explanitory? Thanks Divers any help would be good.

I did PADI basic Nitrox, read alot, and did the TDI Advanced Nitrox & Deco Procedures.

Pay attention, and most important thing is your PPO2 and MOD. (If you don't know that they are now, don't worry by Monday you will (or should).

I am not exactly a wiz at math so I would encourage you to take a pocket claculator and a note pad and pencil. The math is not complex, I am just not good at doing it in my head, so for me a calculator was a huge help. The course is straight forward and worth the time and expense. I now dive NITROX more often than I dive air.

Have fun,

Mark Vlahos

EZ

Gary D.

After learning all that math & those calculations in Nitrox course, have you really used them when diving?

I'm a PADI advanced OW. I have never dived with my buddies, just dived with DMs and followed them, so frankly, I have forgotten all the tables and calculations in OW course. And so far I'm doing fine.

If its done correctly and not with just the intent to get you breathing 32% at a dive location, then it is the basis for advanced nitrox, gas planning, and trimix.

You will need to understand the basic principles of Boyle and Dalton's laws and apply them to PO2, consumption, planning, and be introduced to CNS and OTU calculations, limits, & precautions. Dont look at is a just a cert, but rather take it in and understand it as it is paramount in more advanced classes.

After learning all that math & those calculations in Nitrox course, have you really used them when diving?

I'm a PADI advanced OW. I have never dived with my buddies, just dived with DMs and followed them, so frankly, I have forgotten all the tables and calculations in OW course. And so far I'm doing fine.

As a TDI Advanced Nitrox instructor, I will certainly agree that understanding these things is important for more advanced work. On the other hand, I will also freely admit that the vast majority of recreational divers will not use those calculations in their dives. Most people rely upon tables to or their computers to tell them MODs. Most people obey those MODs on typical recreational dives are not in the water long enough to have to worry about their total oxygen exposure. If that is the only kind of diving you are doing, then that will probably continue to be the case.

Years back I got nitrox certified through TDI. I found the class to be pretty easy and straightforward, and the materials to be written in a very conversational and easy to relate to tone. Back then dives were still required ... I don't think they are anymore. But the dives are just to give you some experience watching your depth and following your plan ... the skills are no different than any other dive, except for analyzing your cylinder and determining your maximum operating depth prior to getting in the water.

Have fun with it ... recreational nitrox is generally an easy class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

the dm's will remember it for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom