How happy are you with today's level of Diver Education?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could be perfectly happy diving locally for the rest of my life. All it would take is a compressor in my garage and a car in my driveway.

If the entire SCUBA certification industry collapsed, I wouldn't shed a single tear.

Terry

That's obvious from any casual glance of your posts.

That's obvious from any casual glance of your posts.

I suppose you're *trying* to get across that you don't think this kind of attitude is very helpful, but the way you put it just looks like a pot-shot.

What are you really trying to say with this?

R..

I could be perfectly happy diving locally for the rest of my life. All it would take is a compressor in my garage and a car in my driveway.

If the entire SCUBA certification industry collapsed, I wouldn't shed a single tear.

Terry

How wonderful for you!

Personally, I would get tired of seeing nothing but the sunken Cessna and crawdads of Aurora reservoir here in Colorado, and I would prefer to go other places to dive on occasion.

How wonderful for you!

Personally, I would get tired of seeing nothing but the sunken Cessna and crawdads of Aurora reservoir here in Colorado, and I would prefer to go other places to dive on occasion.

Feel free to dive anywhere you like.

What do you require in order to dive, that can't be obtained without the existence of the Certification Industry?

Terry

What do you require in order to dive, that can't be obtained without the existence of the Certification Industry?

Terry

Don't change the topic. The topic was the dive industry, not the certification industry.

If I travel to Chuuk, I would like to have a boat to take me to the sunken ships, a guide to chow me where they are, and the tanks and gas I need to get to them. If there aren't enough divers worldwide to keep that operation going throughout the year, then none of those will be in place when I arrive.

Terry

Seriously? Are you planning on shipping your compressor to Hawaii, SoCal or FL? Good luck booking a charter without certification.... Oh, it better be a recognized agency, at that.

If I travel to Chuuk, I would like to have a boat to take me to the sunken ships, a guide to chow me where they are, and the tanks and gas I need to get to them.

I'm not a historian, but I'm pretty sure that boats and compressed air pre-date SCUBA.

If there aren't enough divers worldwide to keep that operation going throughout the year, then none of those will be in place when I arrive.

That would make these places even more special for if/when you finally coordinate the resources to dive there.

Terry

Seriously? Are you planning on shipping your compressor to Hawaii, SoCal or FL? Good luck booking a charter without certification.... Oh, it better be a recognized agency, at that.

All those places are loaded with compressors and the only card I need to rent a boat and a captain says "Visa" on the front.

Terry

All those places are loaded with compressors and the only card I need to rent a boat and a captain says "Visa" on the front.

Terry

Is that practical for 99.9% of traveling divers?

Maybe you know enough locals that have compressors, most don't. If you can get a fill at a shop without showing certification, that shop is an accident away from a huge liability suit. Same goes for any captain taking you out to dive. What do you suppose the consequence would be for a captain who took an uncertified diver out who died? Who would risk their livelihood like that? The bigger question for me is whether I would trust my safety with an operator whose only priority is your method of payment.

Terry

Of course they are. Now try to follow this: that is because here are a lot of divers coming through that will use them. Take the divers away, and there is no need for the compressors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom