How good is a Dacor Enduro Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jadmcse

Reaction score
I just bought this setup used and I am wondering how good the system is. I havent had it serviced yet which I intend to do in the next week. I am hoping that the service doesnt find anything wrong with it other then it needs a service kit. Assuming nothing is broken or worn out how long does a system like this last? Is it a pretty good beginer setup? Can I expect good use from it for recreational use? I dive maybe once every 18 to 24 months. For anyone that cares to see what I picked up you can find it at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3623475513&category=16056&rd=1

I dont take well to criticism so please dont tell me that I was robbed or anything like that. Since there isnt much I can do about it now after I have already paid for it and have recieved the system. I just want to assure myself that after getting it serviced I will not only enjoy my diving but that I wont drown :)

It's a good setup, they will last for quite a while. I service lots of these exact same critters and they clean up pretty good. The only complaint that I have of the unit is that they do not breathe as well as some other regs, but they can hold their own.

I like the curved console. Since the set came with a computer, I think that you got a good deal. The Enduro is a fairly recent mid-90's regulator. It has some interesting features and should breathe alright.

Here is a Rodale article that mentions the Enduro:
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/27regs/#dacor

Dacor Enduro and Quantum
Dacor has designs not found in most other regulators, including: modular first stages for easier servicing (all regs from Quantum on up); exhaust through the second-stage diaphragm; dry-air sealed first stages; a balanced diaphragm-assisted piston first stage with a pressure boost at depth; balanced second stages; half-inch low-pressure hoses and fittings for low-pressure ports.
Both the Enduro and Quantum scored well in the categories of dry breathing, ease of clearing, and use in various positions. They have essentially the same second stages as the Dacor Extremes, but without adjustments, although they use different first stages. Dacor's new second-stage cover will be reviewed in the August issue.

Dacor Enduro pictured.

Now that you have your own regulator, you need to go diving more frequently than once every 18 months. That is unacceptable. Take that Dacor down and come back and give us a report on how it did.

I think it will be a fine setup, but you may want to buy a few service kits now. The parts for many Dacor regs have been discontinued recently from what I understand. Visit the Dacor site for more info. I think parts will be in fair supply from LDS stocks for a while, but may deplete in a couple of years and become more difficult to find. I would just buy 2 or 3 kits if you want to keep the stuff for a while (if that is one of the regs with discontinued parts). Dacor has been offering a trade in program for those customers to get new regs. Hell, Dacor will give you like $200.00 I believe to trade in just the reg, not the console, on a new Dacor reg. It would cover the cost of the entire purchase you just made.

Jack I would like to know more info about that trade in program. Do you recall where you saw it?

Chatted with Dacor a moment ago. There are currently no trade-up programs in effect for the Enduro line. As far as kits go, some of the older parts & kits are no longer available, but Dacor has made new kits available that "upgrade" the innerds of the regulators (i.e. changing from the old two-spring setups of the 80's/early 90's to a more modern single spring, plus other associated changes to the reg.) The Enduro line is still supported by Dacor, and I would suspect that if they were to EOL the regs, they will make these "upgrade" kits available so that the regs can still be serviced.

Im very sorry for the bad info, looks like May 15, 2003 was the cutoff date. Also, $200 is what I saved buying two regs, two firsts, and two second stages. It may have been extended, but I am not sure. I understood the trade up was to offset the reduction in support of other models. There is a variety of info online, but I don't know who to believe, check this out.
http://www.scubadiving.com/feature/news/60801dacortrade.shtml

I went and talked to my local dive shop today. In fact its strange but he mentioned to me the same thing today. Anyway he said he didnt know the particulars but he would know by tuesday. So ill let you guys know then if there is a new program or not.

I can pretty much tell you that there are no programs for the Enduro line, we're a Dacor dealer and my rep said that there are no current programs and no immediate plans for another trade-up program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom