• 2-3 hours

Votes: 39 21.8%
  • 3-4 hours

Votes: 20 11.2%
  • more than 4 hours

Votes: 89 49.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20 min to Clearwater, 3 1/2 hrs to WPB or this summer I'm going 24 hrs to Vermont.

I'd need to drive about 1.5 hours to do the dive specified in the thread. I don't enjoy shore diving that much, however, so I only do it when we are teaching.

It takes about the same amount of time to get to Rhode Island or Cape Ann, where there are boats.

I also drive about 3.5 hours to get to Dutch Springs. So far, its always been for teaching, but I'm hoping to go there for fun next month.

It took me a bunch-o-hours to get to Key West to do 2 dives! All in all, they weren't even good dives. But I love diving so I wasn't complaining.

14-15 June, Tobermory, Ontario. 7 hours drive from the house, on a good day, with no hold up at the border.

26-27 July, Alpena, Michigan. 3 hours from our Farm in Frankenmuth hauling the trailer to stay in the weekend.j

8-10 August, Kingston, Ontario. 8 hours depending on traffic and border crossing time.

Even a jump in the local lake (Lake Fenton) with CLDWDIVER is about 45 minutes away on a Wednesday afternoon. Longer if I need to pop into the dive shop to pick up my tank....

Other times to inland lakes and Traverse City are the same as CLDWDIVER showed in his reply, minus the 30 minutes between his house and mine....

There isn't any reason to drive any further. The St. Lawerence, Kingston, and the Finger Lakes are that close. I live on Oneida Lake ( middle of the state of NY) and wouldn't dive it anytime anyway.

chuckrt

My three dive buds are at this moment on their way to West Palm Beach from here in the Detroit area for a night dive tonight (Friday) and a day of charters on Saturday. They left Thursday night, driving nonstop in shifts. It's about 21 hours one way. They'll do the same thing on the way back Sunday. And I'm as crazy as they are, because I would have gone with them except for a commitment at work for Friday afternoon I couldn't get out of.

Most of my diving used to be in Rhode Island with my drive from Connecticut or Upstate NY. So the average drive on a weekend was like 2 or 3hrs.

Lucky for me i now live in south florida with an average drive of 30min to the beach and 1hr to key largo or 2.5 hrs to the nearest spring.

Man...I want to move :)

What you describe sounds like our local Twin Lakes. That's about 45min. from home. Around the state we have driven 2 hrs to Blue Lagoon Quarry, 3.5hrs to Lake Travis, 5 hrs to Athens Park, and 10 hrs to the spring in Balmorhea State Park in West Texas. We'll dive somewhere every weekend. Salt water is fine but fresh can be just as interesting. And if we want to dive, we can't be picky. It must be nice to only do saltwater boat dives, and I envy those who can, but I HAVE to dive so I get in whatever water is available. :wink:

Epinephelus once bubbled...
It's not so much drive time as time available. It is right at 12 hours driving at a leasurely pace from LA (That's "Lower Alabama," the Florida panhandle from the Chatahoochie to Perdido Bay) to Freeport, Texas, where the boats for the Flower Gardens leave, or to Key Largo. The drive is no problem; getting Friday and Monday off to get in a full weekend of diving can be.
E. itajara

We're about 90 minutes from Freeport but we'll drive 10 hrs to the Florida Panhandle for decent diving out of Panama City!

Guess the water is always bluer on the other side of the Gulf!
:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom