How far will this light take me in caving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think I saw this mentioned, There won't be a "good" way to hold the UK as either handle and it's weight may get in the way of reel/spool handling and line drills.

I would be cautious before plunking down a lot of money on a light,if you are only taking cavern,and not progressing in the near future. I see some great light technology on the horizon which will make the HIDs obsolete,in which case it will be a great buy or you can the get the next best thing.

Here is a good light for OW, cavern and a good backup for cave.

http://www.diverite.com/products/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=LT6078

I have the Sea elite, the DR Handheld and 2 backups.

My Sea Elite has be on about 100 cave dive and several 300’ dives and never had a problem, also the light is nice and compact.

I second the Photon LED plan. The light is inexpensive, almost as bright as a 10w HID and makes a very nice backup light for later. Get two for the price of the Light Cannon.

Not to hijack too badly, but I have a question along the same line. I am looking to buy a can light soon, in order to start taking my cave class, and was wondering what the general requirement in terms of size is? Will a 10W HID serve to get you into caves, or do you need to eventually get a 21W anyway? I thought a 10W ws good, but saw on a site (maybe NSS) that a 21W was required for apentice and full. Thanks for the help!

karstdvr:
I would be cautious before plunking down a lot of money on a light,if you are only taking cavern,and not progressing in the near future. I see some great light technology on the horizon which will make the HIDs obsolete,in which case it will be a great buy or you can the get the next best thing.

What kind of new technology is coming out? I haven't heard anything, but then again, I haven't really been paying attention.

utdivermatt:
Not to hijack too badly, but I have a question along the same line. I am looking to buy a can light soon, in order to start taking my cave class, and was wondering what the general requirement in terms of size is? Will a 10W HID serve to get you into caves, or do you need to eventually get a 21W anyway? I thought a 10W ws good, but saw on a site (maybe NSS) that a 21W was required for apentice and full. Thanks for the help!

10W is sufficient. I had similar questions when I first started training. The requirements are written a little vaguely with respect to that.

OBXDIVEGUY:
What kind of new technology is coming out? I haven't heard anything, but then again, I haven't really been paying attention.

I have seen some R&D for some LED lights,including a cool focusable one. Also,you need to see some of the Lithium batteries with ultra small canisters.

utdivermatt:

10w is adequate,and still my light of choice. Does well in big passages,and small high turbid passages.

utdivermatt:

A 10 watt light should serve you well for starting out in cave diving, and beyond. While I do feel a little light envy when diving with someone with a 21 or 24 watt, I don't feel like I NEED a bigger light. And considering the large price difference, I wouldn't pay the difference until you decide that you are going to continue cave diving and that the extra light will be worth the extra money. At that point, the 10 watt light can become a backup/loaner light.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom