How effective are undergarments in adding warmth when worn under wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papasmurf89

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm currently diving in Monterey and wear a 6.5mm Farmer John. As temperatures are stopping to drop more (sub-60F), I'm definitely starting to feel a bit cooler. I'm currently evaluating my options to what I can do to stay warm. The two options I'm thinking about are:

1) Getting some sort of undergarment (e.g. Lavacore) to try add some warmth
2) Getting a "semi-dry" suit with an integrated hood

The two "semi-dry" (I know they're not true semi-dry's) suits I'm looking at are the Aqualung SolAflx 8/7mm and the Bare Velocity 8/7mm seen here:

Bare 8/7mm Velocity Sem-Dry Men's Hooded Suit

Now, I have a few questions...how much extra warmth does wearing an undergarment provide? I know the Lavacore's are pretty expensive but I get a slight discount since I'm a scientific diver. Would it be enough to keep me warm? I do get a decent amount of flow in my Farmer John (it could fit me a little bit better; I'm slightly too tall and slightly too skinny for it). It's because of this flow and lack of fit, that I'm just thinking about going with a suit with an integrated hood. I can get the new SolAflx for $350. Or the Velocity that I linked is only $289 (what I'm leaning towards right now). Does anyone have experience with either? I've heard good things about both. I was originally going to get the Hollis Neotek for $250 (I get a discount on that) but they sold out last week and are back ordered for months. One quick question about the Velocity, I saw that it's a closeout so I'm assuming it's last years model. Does anyone know if they changed anything between this years and last years beyond aesthetics?

What do you guys think I should do? If you guys think I should go with an undergarment, which company would you recommend? If you recommend I go with the semi-dry, which model would you recommend? Currently think I should just go for the closeout Bare Velocity. Thoughts?

Is there a cost issue. If not I would just go drysuit. You wont regret it.

Another option is UTD's wetsuit heater belt. Pretty nice but $$.

I know that drysuits are the ultimate when it comes to warmth and I would love one since I do get cold easily but I'm going to hold off on one for now for a few reasons. First, like you mentioned, the cost. I simply can't afford one at the moment. I know I will get one eventually, but right now, I just can't swing it. Secondly, I do a lot of scientific diving. As such, I spend a lot of time in and around rocky reefs. One of my concerns (and is a major reason why very few of my peers dive dry) is tearing. I know cordura dry suits are incredibly durable but they seem to be even more expensive. Furthermore, I could potentially be getting a custom open cell wetsuit (Heatwave) in the future for free. This is what 80% of the people in my program dive so I know it's quite warm. I'm planning on just getting something (relatively) cheap for now to hold me over until I can get the Heatwave.

I layer with a Lavacore shirt and shorts. It makes a world of a difference for a suit that doesn't quite fit right. (I am also on the too tall/skinny end of the spectrum for most suits) I also throw a 3mm vest on top of it to keep it flush against my core to limit "pump" across my back. The nice thing is that it's just so dang useful to have! You can add it when you need it, leave it at home when you don't, and wear it all by itself for warm temperatures or shorter exposures where it's not worth it to suit all the way up (boogie boarding leaps to mind).

That being said... I think a nice new semi-dry will get you warmer over all.

So bottom line, lavacore offers more flexibility, new semi-dry will probably be warmest.

Papasmurf89:

Unfortunately, a drysuit is the only exposure protection that will keep you warm during extended or multiple dives. Semi dry suits reduce water intrusion. However, the suit still compresses as depth. You will get cold, especially as you get down below 50-60 feet. This is why dry-suit users require thick undergarments to stay warm. The waterproof membrane keeps the water out but doesn't insulate the diver (prevent heat loss).

Both of the wetsuits you mentioned have similar designs. Choose the one that fits you best. Add a 5mm vest to the package and that should keep you a bit warmer. Xcel of Hawaii also makes suits of similar designs that are quite popular in our area. You could also look for a pre-owned drysuit. Although, choose with care as having to repair a drysuit comes at a cost.

Ouvea

OP I dive NE when the temps are 50-60F I use a 1mm rash guard and a 2mm hooded vest under my 7mm farmer john wet suit. The vest adds warmth and the rash guard reduces the water movement inside the suit.

If the wetsuit is loose enough to accommodate an undergarment, I wonder if that isn't the reason you get cold in it. A snug fitting wetsuit will keep me warm (although it is pretty difficult to find a perfect fit).

Before I got a dry suit, I dove a 7 mm semi dry. When that wasn't warm enough I wore Mysterioso fleece under it. It was the best thing I could do. Mysterioso is fleece made for kayakers and rafters and crazy expensive. I was warm enough to outlast my friends in diving. Now I use the same garments under my dry suit. Now as I look back the fleece is the same price as any lava core undergarment. It definitely reduces the fluid flow through the wetsuit. I definitely would do it.

Lindy

Are you currently wearing a hood?

When you say you're wearing a 6.5mm FJ, do you mean a 6.5mm FJ with a 6.5mm jacket over it?

If you're not wearing a hood now, this $30 hooded vest (5/3 mm) would probably be all you need:

Oceanic Ultra Men's 5/3mm Hooded Vest X-Large 15.2916.56

And they have a 7/5mm version for $33.

Since you already said you're a bit skinny for your current suit, the 7/5 might be better for you, just to help fill in the empty space inside your suit and reduce the water pumping through.

I have a Lavacore Farmer John that I wear under my wetsuit, when needed. I have read that it adds the equivalent of roughly 2.5mm of neoprene in warmth. It is definitely warmer with it on under my suit than without it. And, it is neutral buoyancy, which is nice.

I also got the Lavacore long sleeve hooded shirt, but I haven't had occasion to wear it yet.

If you want Lavacore, my local dive ship has all their remaining stock on Clearance. This is their website:

Coral Edge Adventures

Call them to find out if they have your size and what the Clearance prices are. The prices on their website are not the Clearance prices. My LC FJ was normally $180 and Clearance price was $105.

... I could potentially be getting a custom open cell wetsuit (Heatwave) in the future for free. This is what 80% of the people in my program dive so I know it's quite warm. I'm planning on just getting something (relatively) cheap for now to hold me over until I can get the Heatwave.
Visit (as in don't call) all your LDS' that stock that brand. Ask to buy one out of their rental program. Their older suits paid for themselves at least twice. Haggle. Did same for the kid, got a great deal on a crushed neoprene suit. Sent it back to the manufacturer twice now, expense still not up to what I would have spent for new. Just another option to consider...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom