How early is too early to progress your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twins just to "feel safer" ??

The first time I dove twins (a short decompression stop and a long bottom time planned) I hitched it up, got in the water, and kicking like mad I still felt like I couldn't move with all that weight. Yes, it was nice to have redundant gear and extra bottom time (I was using twin gear sets, not a manifold) and to know that one tank took me down, I could switch over to the second and be sure the first was there as a known good backup.

But "feel safer" overall? With all that extra weight? No thanks, I'd rather use one larger (100cf) or higher pressure tank, than use twins. More safety margin but a lot less to carry.

What you chose to gear up with, and when you chose to add gear or training or expand your comfort zone, that's all personal choices. Some folks are water babies and they're really hiding gills, they are comfortable from the first dive in any conditions. Others, will never relax the same way.

So by all means ask folks what they think but in the end? Your own opinion is the one to follow.

Actually I've just had a thought - doesn't happen too often - so bear with me.
Your singles wing! If you currently have a steel BP you might want to see if you can pickup an aluminium plate for going on holiday Because (a) Reducing the weight on your back (b) Reducing airline bag costs.

Twins

With your first few dives, learn to locate your valves - right.middle, left. Do this while finning and then do this when stationary ie stop finning, locate valves. This will help you locate your valves and help you tune your buoyancy.
I can competently do a valve drill in neutral buoyancy and decent trim now due to GUE

I find diving a twinset nicer and better balanced than a single. Having said that there are times when it is a hassle. For example Malta, a destination you ought to dive, is usually shore diving with rocky entries involving some walking fully kitted up. For typical UK or Irish boat diving a twinset is good if you can squeeze two dives out of it or if you are only doing one dive. Taking a 15 and a whip for a top up is a hassle otherwise.

I agree with those above saying to keep the single wing. For holiday diving it will be what you need. You can get twinsets on Red Sea boats but if you go to Indonesia or the Caribbean it all gets harder.

100 dives is ok, however maybe it is time to think about what sites you would like to dive rather than what kit you want to dive. This will lead to what training and equipment is required to make the dives and allow you to plan that.

Edit - you say less than 100, do you mean like 50 to 100 or like 20 something?
50 to 100 and growing rapidly!

Twins just to "feel safer" ??

The first time I dove twins (a short decompression stop and a long bottom time planned) I hitched it up, got in the water, and kicking like mad I still felt like I couldn't move with all that weight. Yes, it was nice to have redundant gear and extra bottom time (I was using twin gear sets, not a manifold) and to know that one tank took me down, I could switch over to the second and be sure the first was there as a known good backup.

But "feel safer" overall? With all that extra weight? No thanks, I'd rather use one larger (100cf) or higher pressure tank, than use twins. More safety margin but a lot less to carry.

What you chose to gear up with, and when you chose to add gear or training or expand your comfort zone, that's all personal choices. Some folks are water babies and they're really hiding gills, they are comfortable from the first dive in any conditions. Others, will never relax the same way.

So by all means ask folks what they think but in the end? Your own opinion is the one to follow.
You probably didn’t move anywhere with the twinset because you weren’t using rubber fins or your propulsion methods were lacking I find it easy to move a double 12s setup.

It is also much more stable which I like and my feet don’t tend to rise up as much than with a single rank

I keep seeing "GUE" and, as every early personal computer owner knows, GUE is short for Great UnderGround Empire, as in the Zork computer games. And I keep thinking, did I miss something in Zork? Was there SCUBA in the reservoir? Is that why I could never rescue the princess?

I keep seeing "GUE" and, as every early personal computer owner knows, GUE is short for Great UnderGround Empire, as in the Zork computer games. And I keep thinking, did I miss something in Zork? Was there SCUBA in the reservoir? Is that why I could never rescue the princess?
I though they called it that because they all have flat heads.

Every time you dive your are progressing your diving whether your realize it or not. Find things to work on. Launch an SMB, navigate around submerged tree branches on your safety stop ..etc etc ... Work on a slow ascent from 15 to surface. Can you hold your buoyancy at 5 feet- 4 feet... etc.. Every dive is a chance to learn new things and sharpen what you know.

I though they called it that because they all have flat heads.
Because of the indent st the back of the head from looking horizobtal the whole time? Or that they have a missing link and follow a cult?

GUE courses are available all over the world. “Global”...... haha.

Not readily available but they have been done once or twice in Ireland yes. I plan on continuing with GUE and taking Rec 2 next summer if I have enough dives and feel ready.

I just made the switch to doubles like you (60 or so non training dives). Carrying redundant access to a boatload of gas instead of lead (that I don't need in twins) sounds smart and give a warm feeling of safety.

Besides, take R2 when you can... It's really an awesome class

I just made the switch to doubles like you (60 or so non training dives). Carrying redundant access to a boatload of gas instead of lead (that I don't need in twins) sounds smart and give a warm feeling of safety.

Besides, take R2 when you can... It's really an awesome class
They are all awesome :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom