How does your computer handle deep dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not the most experienced on the board, but there are some things that need to be said clearly for the benefit of any beginners reading this thread.

1) In 20+ years of diving I have never heard of or seen a PDC that considers GAS supply in it's NDL/Staged Deco calculations. How much inert gas is dissolved in your tissues has nothing to do with how much longer you can breath underwater. These are two completely independent items that must be separately managed.

2) You should never undertake a staged deco dive without pre-planning your gas requirements, contingencies, and redundancies. Most non staged deco trained divers have no idea how to do this. Heading up at 1k psi is not a proper staged decompression gas plan.

3) No one should ever have un-planned staged decompression requirements. There is no excuse. This demonstrates a complete lack of awareness and attention. "I wanted to see a pretty fish" and "The DM was not ascending yet" are not valid excuses. You are responsible for your own safety. Your PDCs will tell you on the surface before your dive how long you can stay at your planned depth. If its not long enough then extend your surface interval until it is or change your plan.

4) Never plan to use your recreational PDC for decompression diving. In most cases the base algorithm was not designed for it and it is well out of its empirical testing range. Most trained technical divers run a much more conservative algorithm than the average recreational PDC.

Did I miss anything?

And it might skip the deeper deco stop for the sake of maximizing benefit to the diver. Understanding that not all components would gas off as efficiently at 9 m than deeper...

Your PDCs deep stops are an arbitrary (Not Required) addition when you are within no stop limits. My guess is that when you exceed NDL your PDC falls back to the base decompression algorithm and stops inserting arbitrary safety/deep stops.

My guess is that when you exceed NDL your PDC falls back to the base decompression algorithm and stops inserting arbitrary safety/deep stops.
Random data point: if you run Suunto's rec RGBM algorithm, if you go into deco you'll get a bunch of deco time @3m, but none at 6, 9, 12 etc.

If I ever were to do a deco dive, I would never trust a rec PDC to give an even remotely sensible deco schedule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom