• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How does your computer handle deep dives?

Discussion in 'Advanced Scuba' started by fisherdvm, Sep 23, 2018.

1. fisherdvm

fisherdvm Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499

I will, Daniel... Just reporting what I have noted on 3 "accelerated" deco simulations.

The first one did not have a deep stop... just the 10 ft long deco min, which I can not remember

The second one did have a deep stop, but it was like only slightly exceeding the NDL.... and it DID have a deep stop, although short, and a short 10 ft stop.

The third one, exceeded the NDL by a whole lot... and it did NOT have a deep stop.

I will keep on testing it... just in case I "blew by" the mandatory deep stop. I am pretty sure I did, as I ascended very slowly on a line with my smb, and noted it continously on my arm as I ascended.

I might have to contact the mare's rep and see how the algorhytm is planned out with the puck

2. fisherdvm

fisherdvm Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I still can not get the light to go on on either computers. I do not think it is a defect. It said in the book to depress the button for a few seconds...

Maybe I turned it off in a "battery saving mode"??... Have to go back and play with it more at home.

soggybadger likes this.
  3. admikar

admikar Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but I'll bite.
    I have Mares Matrix, with similar screen, with only difference it will change color of middle field to black when past NDL.
    But, back to your computer. I looked at Puck manual and it took me minute to notice that if you're within NDL you will have only one number in the middle of the middle field:time to no deco limit. If you get deep stop, it will display two numbers, depth of your stop (which is not mandatory) on the left of the middle field and time to no deco limit in the middle of the middle field. If you actually do get deco limit it will display three numbers:depth of your stop (which is mandatory)on the left of the middle field, time of your stop in the middle of the middle field and third number will show total time it will take you to reach surface on the right of the middle field.
    Sorry for saying lot of middle field, but it seems you need all the help you can get.
    So, in short:
    1 number- you are still away from NDL
    2 numbers- you are close to NDL
    3 numbers- you are over NDL.
    For the rest of the things you said, I'll keep quiet.

soggybadger likes this.
  4. soggybadger

soggybadger Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99

5. soggybadger

soggybadger Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Have to go back and play with it more at home.[/QUOTE] This

6. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Dude, you are still making stuff up. Your computer (and most of them) has NO idea what size tank you have. You are fantasizing to cover your ignorance. You don't understand your manual, you don't understand your computer, you don't understand what people are saying to you. And you are confusing flames with facts.

dberry and soggybadger like this.
  7. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The op will not see this since I have been on his ignore list since day one but I will say its damn hard to understand and evaluate a dive computer’s deco algorithm when you don’t know the first thing about deco theory and apparently unwilling/able to learn (by his own admission).

admikar and soggybadger like this.
  8. saxman242

saxman242 Contributor

At least the thread title this time isn't overly sensational and dramatic?

rsingler and soggybadger like this.
  9. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    soggybadger likes this.
  10. Storker

Storker ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Until you get a freeflow and don't have a redundant gas supply (I'm assuming single tank here, since you said "half tank"). If/when that happens and you owe "plenty of deco", you may well find yourself having to choose between being bent and being drowned.

Bob DBF, DanielRJones and soggybadger like this.