How does WA wet lens affect zoom/focus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can zoom with the FIX90 housing and S90 camera with all three of my wide angle lenses and macro lens, IQ degrades at the longer range of the zoom with the wide angle, seems ot improve with the macro.

Some cameras, like the Canon G series (zoom ratio greater than 5X) have such a long zoom ratio that in order to utilize a wet lens a special short port is sometimes provided, with this port in place zooming the camera would result in the lens ramming the housing port and the camera would have the dreaded lens fault error and possible stripped gears id you persist. This is not the case with the tiny Canon S90 (zoom ratio 3.8X), full range zoom is possible with little effect on focus and some degradation of IQ.

Why install a wide angle and then zoom way out?

Frankly, I find focus faster with the Inon UFL165AD and Fisheye UWL-04 lens, slightly slower with the Inon WAL100-67 with dome (sometimes in dim light) as compared to the bare port. I turn off all of the auto overrides and focus assist lights and all of that foolishness.

N

Thanks, Nemrod ... your opinion is always appreciated. And I agree about zooming; it was never about wanting to have the capability, it was just understanding where the original info from Dyron was coming from, and what it meant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom