How Does Narcosis Effect You?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a misleading question. Many people don't feel any symptoms and so feel that they aren't narced. @CAPTAIN SINBAD was clued in because he was trying to accomplish a complicated task. Without that, he probably would not have known he was narced. The most dangerous diver is the one that thinks they don't get narced.

Humans are generally very unreliable at estimating their level of impairment. LEOs see it with intoxicated drivers, I see it daily when administering sedation to patients, and I've personally experienced it.

On nitrous oxide for a dental procedure, I was convinced that my mental faculties were still intact. I tried to demonstrate this by discussing pressure/volume of oxygen vs nitrous in "E" cylinders with the hygienist, including the inaccuracy of pressure gauges with liquid nitrous. They turned up the concentration to shut me up. "The Simpsons" came on the overhead TV, and Homer was yelling at Marge. My conscious thoughts were: "Now, that's not right. Marge is an under-appreciated beauty, and Homer should consider himself LUCKY to have her. Ohhhh, I'm now trashed."

People who claim they aren't narc'd on those deep dives are deceiving themselves. They're narc'd ... they just don't notice it. Often, however, their buddy does ...

When you're on trimix and others aren't it's like being the designated driver on a boozy night out. Trimix really teaches you about narcosis.... because you get to feel...and sometimes see... the full effect of it comparatively.

Back
Top Bottom