How does moisture enter tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rol diy

Contributor
Reaction score
After all this posting and practical testing, we can conclude:

That if at 80ish ft you breath your tank down to 40ish psi on your gauge, (if you can read that fine on your gauge)
and sink to 100 ft because you died.
You will most likely get water in your tank, and eventually your gauge will read 50ish psi
Because of the water filling your tank,

Tracy

Tech Instructor / Captain
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After all this posting and practical testing, we can conclude:

That if at 80ish ft you breath your tank down to 40ish psi on your gauge, (if you can read that fine on your gauge)
and sink to 100 ft because you died.
You will most likely get water in your tank, and eventually your gauge will read 50ish psi
Because of the water filling your tank,
Correct. So best bet is to not do that because your gauge will be full of water and your regulators will need to be serviced before use by the recovery diver.

Tracy

Tech Instructor / Captain
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Exactly as expected.

Notice the little cloud of water vapor form for a second as pressure was released? That was from the cooling as the air expanded before returning to ambient temperature. I'm guessing that is a shop compressor without extensive drying and not regulated down dive air.
It is a low pressure shop compressor with very extensive cooling and filtering. It is the drive gas for the booster wall. The vapor is from the standing water in the pressure pot that I dumped out seconds before I slid the gauges in.

broncobowsher

Contributor
Reaction score
It is a low pressure shop compressor with very extensive cooling and filtering. It is the drive gas for the booster wall. The vapor is from the standing water in the pressure pot that I dumped out seconds before I slid the gauges in.
OK. That makes sense.

clownfishsydney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Well, most of the replies to the original question have nothing to do with it. Water can only really get in via compressor (poor filtering) or getting blown in when a wet valve is connected to the compressor or if a totally empty tank is under water and valve open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Top Bottom