How does mask anti-fog work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To spit or not to spit, that is the question

whether 'tis nobler in your mask to suffer
the slings and arrows of outrageous fog
or by expectorating end them

-=>Larry<=-:
Since this message string has come back to life a little - I was thinking [in a really idle & odd moment] about the Rain-x comment. It ought to work fine, but for the opposet reason that the surfactants are good - - It INCREASES surface tension to the point that no water can have enough contact area to stick to the mask.

It worked great on my car coming to San Marcos through some 1"/hour storms just now - but the lightning hit just in time to keep me from getting my dive in at Aquarena - thus I'm idly at the computer!

Hi Larry,

Rain-X actually makes two products. One for the outside and a glass defogger for the interior of the car.

The INCREASED surface tension is great when the beads of water are subjected to the wind but I really don't think this is a good idea inside your mask.

On the otherhand, their glass defogger may be useful. It can be used on eyeglasses, interior auto glass, bathrooms, etc. I tried it in the shower and it only worked so-so. I'm gonna stick with spit...it's really cheap and if it doesn't work, it rinses out. I can't figure out how to get the Rain-X off...it just sort of has to wear off.

Regards

Larry

H2Andy:
To spit or not to spit, that is the question

whether 'tis nobler in your mask to suffer
the slings and arrows of outrageous fog
or by expectorating end them

Hey H2Andy...

Didga ever notice that drinking a regular (non diet) coke just before using spit as a defog makes it gooier and it seems to coat better :11: ?

I like to think of it as gourmet spit.

SPIT HAPPENS!!!

Larry

Laurence Stein DDS:
Didga ever notice that drinking a regular (non diet) coke just before using spit as a defog makes it gooier and it seems to coat better :11: ?

I like to think of it as gourmet spit.

ummm, yeah, try it after eating a chocolate bar.

BradfordNC:
ummm, yeah, try it after eating a chocolate bar.

With or without nuts? :06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom