Cressi Quantum mask - puzzling boast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMyMyOHellYes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was taking a look at the new Cressi Quantum mask. I like their Calibro mask and was thinking of trying the new one.

Part of the revolutionary design includes "heat exchangers". Hmm. Tell me more.

"HEAT EXCHANGER The external part of the skirt features a cooling system composed of two small heat exchangers that act as radiators (3). Thanks to this system, the temperature inside mask drops, coming closer to the external temperature and the droplets of humidity are trapped before the air reaches the lenses, preventing them from fogging up."

I gotta stop you right there and call bull$#it.

You mold the mask skirt out of silicone rubber and mold in a "heat exchanger"?

This is the same material that my grilling gloves and oven hotpads are made from because they are a heat INSULATOR, not a CONDUCTOR. Fins on a metallic heat sink body of a reg, OK, I can kinda get that. A silicone rubber mask skirt? No Fracking Way.

I ask "What's it for?" The only conclusion I draw is "To pry money out of the hands of gullible customers."

Did I miss something?

OMMOHY

Just an other gimmick, I am sure,

What's wrong with spitting on the lens?
Works just fine for me,
Eww. I hear some folks pee in their wetsuits too...
😜
OMMOHY

I spoke to someone at Cressi and he assured me that the elements of the mask that cool it down are made exclusively of unobtainium which as you know, is both an excellent insulator when dry but conducts well in salt water. You should try one out and report back. I can easily imagine sales donkeys in LDS pitching this to newbie divers.

The internal ridges around the nose and eyes to redirect air flow seem interesting. Somebody buy this and get back to us to see if it works.

The internal ridges around the nose and eyes to redirect air flow seem interesting. Somebody buy this and get back to us to see if it works.

So, are you suggesting that no cleaning should be done or no defog agent? That’s a $110 mask. Why don’t YOU buy one and report back?

I’m not that interested.

"HEAT EXCHANGER The external part of the skirt features a cooling system composed of two small heat exchangers that act as radiators (3). Thanks to this system, the temperature inside mask drops, coming closer to the external temperature and the droplets of humidity are trapped before the air reaches the lenses, preventing them from fogging up." (bold/italics added for emphasis)
Not just reducing fogging, but "preventing." That could be borderline deceptive advertising if not true. Somebody needs to try this mask and report back. Then we can bash them all we want.

watch where you step :wink:
6D1FA329-403F-439C-9429-90673F31A295.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom