How does mask anti-fog work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus:
I used rain-x on my mask. It works really well on the outside (no water beads when I get back on the boat!) and keeps the fog down on the inside. I think everyone should try it. And the bottles are bigger than your usual defog, so you don't lose them easy, and you can still use it on your car. Awesome stuff.

I'm kidding of course. The stuff is great for the car, but I don't think it'll do the trick on my mask. Though it might do the trick on the skirt, as in destruction...

When I'm done Rain-xing my mask, can I Armour-All the inside of my wetsuit to make it easier to put on? :wink:

Joe

I carry a small 'travel size' tube of toothpaste in my mask box. For me, it works a lot better than spit. I've never tried shampoo, but I think I prefer the toothpaste just because you don't have to worry about it leaking when you change altitude (fly). 'Course, the shampoo won't leak if you remember to squeeze the air out.

Boycott shampoo. Insist on real poo. :wink:

3dent:
Boycott shampoo. Insist on real poo. :wink:

:rofl:

Since this message string has come back to life a little - I was thinking [in a really idle & odd moment] about the Rain-x comment. It ought to work fine, but for the opposet reason that the surfactants are good - - It INCREASES surface tension to the point that no water can have enough contact area to stick to the mask.

It worked great on my car coming to San Marcos through some 1"/hour storms just now - but the lightning hit just in time to keep me from getting my dive in at Aquarena - thus I'm idly at the computer!

Yep got to agree De-Fog is expensive washing up liquid (watered down) I use fairy liquid (Washing up detergent( not u cheap Asda stuff)) and water on my Motorcycle helmet visor and it works a treat !! The only problem with spit is when you have a bit of a cold..and you get a bit of lung butter mixed in there without knowing it…. I remember once I did.. and followed what I thought was a large grouper for most of the dive that stayed always the same distance from me…should have guessed sooner it wasn’t, as I was in a Scottish Lake :)

yes i did, and diligent search of the archives still left me in the dark

Back
Top Bottom