Question How does Cozumel compare to other dive destinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As mentioned, it cannot compare to any Diving in Pacific, period.
It is one of the better dive destinations in Caribbean. Bonaire and Curaçao are better than Cozumel IMHO.
We found Roatan, Belize, Dominica .... to be a disappointment compared to Cozumel.
Cozumel is easy to get to, has great restaurants and good diving. In cooler months (Late Nov to early spring) Eagle rays are common.
Some small reef sharks and black tips are sometimes seen. Nurse sharks are common.
Not as much fish as Bonaire.

Interesting. I've done a week in both Coz and Bonaire in the last year and thought Coz had a lot more macro. Bonaire was wonderful but I'd still say Coz was more interesting all around. Part of that could be because the drift diving adds a bit more excitement. Bonaire was literally like an aquarium and didn't present any challenges. Guess it depends what you are looking for and how lucky you get.

I know I'll be going to Coz many more times but not sure I want to deal with the expense and travel hassles to get back to Bonaire, despite loving it.

Coz is definitely more fun out of the water than Bonaire.

I'm an u/w photographer. The drift diving in Cozumel is frustrating....you go by your subject, and need to keep up with the guide. I like the Cozumel topography, and shore time is fun. Other places are better for photography.

I'm an u/w photographer. The drift diving in Cozumel is frustrating....you go by your subject, and need to keep up with the guide. I like the Cozumel topography, and shore time is fun. Other places are better for photography.
But of course the speed of the current where you are diving is a factor. I have been on Cozumel dives where the current was so strong I could not have stopped no matter what, and others where there was no current at all. That can happen on two dives at different sites on the same morning.

I have heard that photographers sometimes will hire a private DM so they won't have to worry about staying with a group.

I love drift diving when the current is in my goldilocks zone, which is "sauntering speed".

Cozumel is nice for north Americans as it is close and easy to get to. I find the diving reasonable, but not nearly as good as other places you were at.​
Especially of the beaten path in the pacific is much better. Also Indonesia off the beaten path is way better (avoid bali).​

.you go by your subject, and need to keep up with the guide.
In this case, you need to go with a dive operator that has enough boats to dedicate one to this sort of diving. I know of cases where such boats were put together, with the instructions to the DM being to help them get good shots. I actually ended up on a boat like that by accident. I was the only non-photographer. One day in light current the DM let the photographers hang out on the reef (Palancar Gardens) while he took me through some well-hidden swim-throughs that I am sure 99% of the people who dive Palancar Gardens do not know exist.

In this case, you need to go with a dive operator that has enough boats to dedicate one to this sort of diving. I know of cases where such bots were put together, with the instructions to the DM being to help them get good shots. I actually ended up on a boat like that by accident. I as the only non-photographer. One day in light current the DM let the photographs hang out on the reef (Palancar Gardens) while he took me through some well-hidden swim-throughs that I am sure 99% of the people who dive Palancar Gardens do not know exist.
Nice suggestion, but in my case I am usually the group leader, and dive with my group, and only about half the group carry cameras. I solve the problem by rarely going to places that are mainly drift diving.

I am not a photographer nor do I enjoy diving with photographers. Drift diving is perfect for me. Sit back and enjoy the ride!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom