Question How does Cozumel compare to other dive destinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently the entire Caribbean has suffered from coral bleaching and algae. While the pier in St. Croix is one of my favorite dives ever, the other sites were depressing. I was wondering WTF (where the fish?). This is a recurring theme in many of the Caribbean destinations. Over-fishing. Cozumel had the foresight to create a marine park which although flawed, prevents the dive sites from getting pillaged of marine life. It is one of the few places that allows you to see mature, adult marine life, although anymore, I think that is becoming questionable.
I would love to visit Indonesia or the Red Sea, but I can get to Cozumel and grab lunch on the same day, not worry about jet lag and if I miss my flight, I can find another way. The convenience, price point and food make it not only a dive trip, but a vacation as well.

Lots of unfortunate but true comments about the state of reefs at the islands that did not protect their reefs. Any island that let the locals overfish their reefs destroyed them. Many places you go there is nothing bigger than a dinner plate. One of the best examples is Belize where the reefs that are a short distance from shore are shot. But the reefs farther out where the live aboards go are about as pristine as you can find these days. It is all the same reef the only difference is difference from the shore.

Lots of unfortunate but true comments about the state of reefs at the islands that did not protect their reefs. Any island that let the locals overfish their reefs destroyed them. Many places you go there is nothing bigger than a dinner plate. One of the best examples is Belize where the reefs that are a short distance from shore are shot. But the reefs farther out where the live aboards go are about as pristine as you can find these days. It is all the same reef the only difference is difference from the shore.
There's a lot more to it than that.

Reefs all over the world are dying from warming and things like stony coral tissue loss disease. I recently visited dives sites in Fiji I had dived 22 years before. Bommies that were thriving with coral and fish are now rock towers with a little life at the top. When I dived Andros Island i the Bahamas, I dived over many acres of totally dead coral. The Bahamas story brings up a different point--just about the only fish we saw were occasional lionfish. Much of the loss of fish in the Caribbean and Atlantic is the result of the lionfish invasion.

I would rank Cozumel near/above Hawaii but below all the other Pacific places I've been: Palau, Thailand, Philippines, Socorro, French Polynesia (Rangiroa), Sea of Cortez.
My wife and I have been on dive trips to Cozumel about 15 times over the last 16 years. It is a high value, very good dive quality, and relatively safe location topside. IMHO the diving is way better than Hawaii where I have been many times. We have been to French Polynesia, Fiji, and Palau which have better diving, but is a major schlep from the eastern USA, and far more expensive than Coz. The wall diving in Cozumel is amazing stuff.

I'm just interested in evaluating the diving, not the topside/ restaurants/ nightlife or budget considerations.
Understood, but I'll touch on some of that anyway, for the benefit of others who may see this thread doing their own trip research. I had one dedicated dive trip to Cozumel and some cruise ship visits. I'll address it as a Caribbean destination, not comparing it to Raja Ampat.

1.) Warm water (but far enough north to get a little chilly in late winter, at least; this ain't the ABC islands (e.g.: Bonaire).

2.) Excellent viz.

3.) Varied topography, particularly if you do some Palancar sites.

4.) It is drift diving. Some really like that, some (like me) can struggle with it a bit. There seems to be kind of a knack to it.

5.) I thought the reefs were generally good overall and the sea life pleasing - more 'big stuff' than I saw in Bonaire.

6.) Depending on where you stay or go, there's some shore diving. That's not the main draw, but it exists.

7.) If you have non-divers along, it's a (very) popular cruise ship stop, so it'd got a number of topside excursions.

8.) You can stay in town fairly cheaply and eat out well at various places - a thread on where to dine out in Cozumel can dwarf non-specific threads for many destinations. Good food at a good price is a selling point.

9.) You can stay at A.I. resorts to the south if you want all inclusive and short rides to the reef.

10.) If you have high gas consumption and would like a 120-cf steel tank, there are a few operations that carry those (e.g.: Aldora, Living Underwater, at least one other I've heard of before).

11.) A wide range of budget niche offerings. Aldora has a rep. as being a nice, more expensive op. with the big 120-cf steel tanks; Dive With Martin has a rep. as a fine budget option that, last I heard, I think included rental gear with their package rate?

It is a destination where the diving occasionally gets 'blown out' for a day or so, and that's riskier at some times of year. If you can't stand seeing cruise ships or passengers, or don't like 'touristy' destinations, that could be a problem.

Keep in mind, picking a dive destination isn't always about picking the 'best,' whatever you think that is. Sometimes it's about rounding out your experience. I consider Cozumel, Bonaire, Turks & Caicos, the Caymans, Key Largo and the Galapagos all distinct from each other for various reasons, but I'm glad I was blessed to dive in all of them. Cozumel is special enough that if it's convenient for you and you like to dive a range of places, it merits a visit.

I know you said to exclude topside and budget but I don't see how those can be excluded unless your vacation budget is more than most of us make. I wouldn't say Coz is the best diving but I think it's the best value.

The diving itself is similar to other Caribbean locations except the reef structure is larger and it's drift diving. I think the best diving I've had in the Caribbean was Grand Cayman east side but hard to compare one random week with another. I don't see large amounts of marine life in Coz (or the Caribbean) lately, not like the massive schools I see in the Pacific or Red Sea. Mostly schools of grunt hiding from the current under ledges.

Since you've been to many places, how would you rank those?
Ranking my trips-- Raja Ampat, Fiji, Australia, Rangiroa/Bora Bora are at the very top. We also love Loreto (swimming with sea lions every day without other people around is hard to beat). Maui & Kona have a couple good dives but otherwise aren't spectacular (Cathedrals in Maui & Manta night dive in Kona are both fun). In our experience, the Caribbean locations are at the bottom of my ranking (Belize, T&C, Grand Cayman). That said, we enjoyed our trips there.

I had heard so much buzz about Cozumel, I was just curious how good the diving was, in comparison to other places. So it was great to get some feedback from everyone. Sounds like the diving is decent but people like the restaurants/ food and the value.

Understood, but I'll touch on some of that anyway, for the benefit of others who may see this thread doing their own trip research. I had one dedicated dive trip to Cozumel and some cruise ship visits. I'll address it as a Caribbean destination, not comparing it to Raja Ampat.

1.) Warm water (but far enough north to get a little chilly in late winter, at least; this ain't the ABC islands (e.g.: Bonaire).

2.) Excellent viz.

3.) Varied topography, particularly if you do some Palancar sites.

4.) It is drift diving. Some really like that, some (like me) can struggle with it a bit. There seems to be kind of a knack to it.

5.) I thought the reefs were generally good overall and the sea life pleasing - more 'big stuff' than I saw in Bonaire.

6.) Depending on where you stay or go, there's some shore diving. That's not the main draw, but it exists.

7.) If you have non-divers along, it's a (very) popular cruise ship stop, so it'd got a number of topside excursions.

8.) You can stay in town fairly cheaply and eat out well at various places - a thread on where to dine out in Cozumel can dwarf non-specific threads for many destinations. Good food at a good price is a selling point.

9.) You can stay at A.I. resorts to the south if you want all inclusive and short rides to the reef.

10.) If you have high gas consumption and would like a 120-cf steel tank, there are a few operations that carry those (e.g.: Aldora, Living Underwater, at least one other I've heard of before).

11.) A wide range of budget niche offerings. Aldora has a rep. as being a nice, more expensive op. with the big 120-cf steel tanks; Dive With Martin has a rep. as a fine budget option that, last I heard, I think included rental gear with their package rate?

It is a destination where the diving occasionally gets 'blown out' for a day or so, and that's riskier at some times of year. If you can't stand seeing cruise ships or passengers, or don't like 'touristy' destinations, that could be a problem.

Keep in mind, picking a dive destination isn't always about picking the 'best,' whatever you think that is. Sometimes it's about rounding out your experience. I consider Cozumel, Bonaire, Turks & Caicos, the Caymans, Key Largo and the Galapagos all distinct from each other for various reasons, but I'm glad I was blessed to dive in all of them. Cozumel is special enough that if it's convenient for you and you like to dive a range of places, it merits a visit.
Thanks for the detailed response. We like trying different locations and each place is unique-- that's what makes it fun. I wasn't trying to pick only 'the best' dive locations-- I was just trying to understand why I always heard so much buzz about Cozumel. After getting everyone's thoughtful responses, I think I get it now-- Cozumel has decent diving, good food & is a good value. Since we don't like touristy towns and hate hawkers, I'm not sure Cozumel is for us. If the diving was exceptional, I could tolerate it. But it sounds like it isn't.

Its probably best not to compared the Caribbean to the Pacific for these purposes. I have found the Pacific to be better and it really isn't close. However, for me on the East Coast, the Pacific vacations are more involved.

I do enjoy Cozumel a lot. The topography of the reefs is pretty unique with the swim throughs and the drift diving. And my afternoons chillin in the sun at the pool with a drink are just as much a part of the great experience as the diving. And then there is dinner and that's always amazing.

My other fav is Bonaire for different reasons. Its all shore diving for me. We get up when we do, eat breakfast, dive a tank or 2, grab lunch at a food truck, back at the hotel, hit the pool bar then dinner at the site restaurant/bar right on the water. Simple bar food but on the water. A simple experience with no schedule ever which contrasts to most other diving trips that run on boat schedules. Notice I didn't mention the diving which is very good and you move at your pace underwater exploring whatever you come across. Its a dream location if you are great on air because with no group you can stay down forever.

As you can see, the reasons for my favs are not all diving as I think the upside is just as important as the reef.
Totally agree- topside matters too. That was why we were avoiding Cozumel as we thought we wouldn't like the vibe in town-- we prefer quiet locations & hate the hawkers. If the diving was exceptional, then it would be worth dealing with it.

BTW- We just booked a trip to Bonaire, for the exact reasons you mention. I know the diving won't be as good as some of the other places we've been but I love the idea of casual shore diving.

I can't speak to Fiji, Cairns or Belize. I've dove Bahamas, St Thomas area, Jamacia, Caymans, Curaco then came here to Thailand - dove here in Similans, Phi Phi area then whent to Dauin. I lived in Cozumel for 6 years and had a dive business there for over a year.

I think every dive destination is an experience, some more unique than others. Most have a different flavor, if that flavor is something you like, than maybe it's worth a visit.

I went to Dauin for the macro pics but wanted some reef dives at Apo Island - the reefs weren't Cozumel but it wasn't bad either, it was a different view is all, a new experience.

I love Cozumel but I have been fortunate to dive all of Cozumel and then some. The marine life is ok, the macro is ok, the view is pretty good - what I think stands out is the way you dive. Diving in small groups, drift diving and valet service - that to me is something I don't see anywhere (Dauin private gudes were amazing)..... The diving is great, the reef system is such that you get great multi level dives, 60 minute dives that cover a great variety of terrain. Most all smaller boat valet shops have tremendous guides that put their own spin on any reef - you can't beat the lazy drift diving. The texture or view in Cozumel is so different from East side Isolote, Maricaibo thru San Juan, Baracuda and even the shark caves un North.....

Ten days with an adventurous operator and you'll be smiling, ten days with a blahh operator might leave a little to be desired but then again, you don't know what you missed because you haven't seen it....

IMO, if you love dive experiences, Cozumel should be way up your list as a place to try. We all want different things, maybe you'll become a once a year visitor or maybe you'll be able to say you've been there - you won't know until you've tried it.
well said!

My husband always jokes that when in Cozumel I spend zero dollars shopping(except at Megamart). I too cannot stand the hawkers. I never step foot in their shops or engage with them. I give credit to those on this board who engage and talk with them. I prefer not to go down the rabbit hole. I love Cozumel and wish I could tell you that the hawkers will leave you alone with a simple 'no. gracias', but in my experience, they get even more persistent. I used to walk around the square, but anymore I feel like Robert Stack walking through the airport in the movie 'Airplane!' I still visit the island every year, but the hawkers are definitely the only(big) negative that I can say about the island.

Back
Top Bottom