How does a J-valve work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surprisingly, while perusing revision 5 of the US Navy Dive Manual (2005), in chapter 7, regarding pressure gauge requirements, it states that "A cylinder with an air reserve (J-valve) is preferred." In the absence of such, that's when an SPG is required.
At any rate, since filling requires the reserve to be left open - a step that might be overlooked by the filling stations - I just took the pressure mechanism from out of the valve on my J-valve - just leaving the spring to provide tension on the stem to provide a good seal.
Otherwise, a J-valve is just as good as any other.

To good thing about a J valve is it is like someone tapping you on the shoulder and saying "You have 500psi left" if you are not watching your SPG like you should and from some of the OOA post I read that seems to be a common occurance.

captain:
To good thing about a J valve is it is like someone tapping you on the shoulder and saying "You have 500psi left" if you are not watching your SPG like you should and from some of the OOA post I read that seems to be a common occurance.

Even more important if your regulator dosen't have a SPG, or an octopus, or a BC inflator...

Oh no! The PADI Police are at my door!:no

jamiep3:
Even more important if your regulator dosen't have a SPG, or an octopus, or a BC inflator...

Oh no! The PADI Police are at my door!:no
Or even, God forbid, No BC.

jpsexton:
Thanks, it sounds like if I can find a used K-valve somwhere I'd be better off just replacing it.

Anyone have a K-valve they'd like to trade for a J-valve? :D

Seriously though Herman, if I don't trade it and wind up buying a K-valve your welcome to it.

I would like them, I have a steel 72 than I am reworking for my double hose reg and I would like to put a J on it. If you decide to replace them let me know.

Thanks for all the replies, I just dropped the tanks off for hydro/vis. I decided to just keep the J-valve and use it in the down position.

Walter:
You ruined it. (15 character minimum is a PITA)

Well, I should've also stated that the stem on the valve was so worn away that turning the handle sometimes did not turn the valve open... wouldn't want to get it stuck in the closed position... So rather than replace the stem, i just took the assembly out! :D

OK I just got my tanks back from Hydro. The J valve says Off in the up position and On in the down position. I know you guys said just leave it down but I gotta know what Off/On means. It seems backwards to me. Apparently it dose'nt mean reserve on or off. :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom