How do you use a compass??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would strongly recomemd going by your local Army-Navy type store and picking up the armies manual on using a compass. It's easy to use and its great to have a manual you can utilize as a reference! Like as stated above, when you need it You need it!

Kellykins -

Whether you use a compass on land or while diving, the principles are exactly the same. If you have a library nearby, see if they have a book about "orienteering", a sort of sport that involves following compass courses and using landmarks ... on land. Or if you have an outdoor store nearby, like hiking, backpacking, etc., check in their book section. The introductory chapters in these books are a great way to learn how to use a compass.

Good luck!

Hi Kelly,

It sounds hard, but is not. The best thing you can do is buy your own compass (if you do not have one, I'd recommend a wrist compass) and practice on dry land.

Remember that the compass needle always points to magnetic North, and that the bezel is just sort of a "memory aid".... the needle always stays put (pointing North), while you are the one that turns.... once you get that concept, than using a compass becomes easier, and eventually intuitive. Don't get hung up on what to do with the bezel (that will make sense as you practice)... just remember the needle points North (did I say that enough times already? :D I used to be a ship's navigator years ago, and this is what was drilled into us when we first began to learn navigation).

You'll get it. Just practice, it is important to master this skill.

Best wishes.

Hi Kelly,

It sounds hard, but is not. The best thing you can do is buy your own compass (if you do not have one, I'd recommend a wrist compass) and practice on dry land.

A lot of personal preference in this.... so while some folks like a wrist compass, I found that the retractor ones work better for beginner compass users.

why? because they can put it out in front of them and eyeball it directly in front of them in the direction they are going. this is slightly harder to do with a wrist compass because some folks aren't as easy to use it on their wrists. (again, lots of personal preference in this. doesn't mean having a wrist or console mounted compass is "wrong")

Remember that the compass needle always points to magnetic north

[snip]

just remember the needle points North (did I say that enough times already? .

I'd like to add "when your holding the compass level. most scuba compasses don't have enough 'float room" in them to tilt much. so when it tilts, the red needle will "bottom out" and won't turn properly. so make sure you're holding it level.

To see how this affects it, take your compass and tilt it "off level" by say 45deg. then turn around in a circle. you'll notice the compass needle often won't move/rotate with you. Hold it level and it will.

when you're swimming, how can you hold is level...wont you end up going off balance...

when you're swimming, how can you hold is level...wont you end up going off balance...

Nope,that's part of the learning process.:D

Oh right...! I always found it hard to hold a compass on land....i used t have them toy ones which worked...(i think lol)...and they never kept still....

Back
Top Bottom