How do you try different types of BCDs before buying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried out a drysuit at a local LDS (not the one I frequent) in order to check sizing and bought it online. Saved me over $500. Is that really bad etiquette? It only took 10 minutes of their time.

I can see how it'd be bad if you tried it in their pool and maybe wasted an hour or so of their time. But still...:idk:
should have asked the LDS to match.If they could not they could probably done a dry suit speciality with the purchase of suit at no charge.
Maybe to relieve any guilt you may have on not purchasing at LDS where you wasted their time and used their facilities as a fitting room,used their expertise to get fitted properly,maybe even used their pool and gear, you should tell them what you did and offer to gift them some $ for their efforts.Just tried on the suit,give them $40. and bring a box of donuts and coffee.Tried on the suit and went into their pool bring the the same treats and $100. If the owner refuses the tip of cash give it to the salesman or staff member that assisted you..
Many here wonder why some LDS charge for their time fitting these "window" shoppers that get sized correctly and use their facilities and then purchase elsewhere. Gets to a point you can tell who is using you as a fitting room and who is serious about purchasing. If I think its someone window shopping I give the same level of assistance, but I try not to tell them what size items are.Maybe stores should remove size tags and code them in such a way that window shoppers cannot understand.

For what it's worth, I was quite lucky meeting up with fellow Scubaboard posters and trying their gear. Consider posting some requests to go diving/trying other people's gear in your regional subforum here on Scubaboard. It will help introduce you to other divers in your area and give you an opportunity to try different gear.

Quick off-topic answer: I assumed that there was no way the shop would be able to afford to match the price, as it was already at least $300 lower than any other internet price. I did feel somewhat bad because the dive shop was very helpful, but I can't justify spending more than $200 extra on an LDS (which I did for my regs/BCD anyway).
How much is *your* time, knowledge and experience worth?
:shakehead:
><>

should have asked the LDS to match.If they could not they could probably done a dry suit speciality with the purchase of suit at no charge.
Maybe to relieve any guilt you may have on not purchasing at LDS where you wasted their time and used their facilities as a fitting room,used their expertise to get fitted properly,maybe even used their pool and gear, you should tell them what you did and offer to gift them some $ for their efforts.Just tried on the suit,give them $40. and bring a box of donuts and coffee.Tried on the suit and went into their pool bring the the same treats and $100. If the owner refuses the tip of cash give it to the salesman or staff member that assisted you..

Agree, not so much for the guilt aspect but just a matter of not taking advantage of someone who has not taken advantage of you.

Many here wonder why some LDS charge for their time fitting these "window" shoppers that get sized correctly and use their facilities and then purchase elsewhere. Gets to a point you can tell who is using you as a fitting room and who is serious about purchasing. If I think its someone window shopping I give the same level of assistance, but I try not to tell them what size items are.Maybe stores should remove size tags and code them in such a way that window shoppers cannot understand.

But then you had to go on and suggest one more excuse to not buy from an LDS. When you remove the tags, would you still sell them as new.

The way to prevent customers from using an LDS as a show room for the internet is to provide the expected customer service at a competitive price.

Ask.

DWH (not where I go all the time, but have bought some gear there) has their own pool apparently.

I have a SeaQuest Balance (which they carry) back inflate. I love it. They also have a back inflate model with the I3 system (forget the model name). The I3 system is a small lever for adding / releasing air. A work colleague has one and loves it.

Never hurts to ask if they will let you try one in their pool.

Sharky's and KDS don't have their own pools. I have no experience with KDS, but do find Sharky's quite good. Both offer OW courses regularly, so again, doesn't hurt to ask if they would let you try one in the pool during one of their training sessions.

FWIW, the shop who did your training is more likely to say yes, all else being equal.

My Balance is ML. We can arrange for you to try it if it is the right size.

Welcome back EFB.

If it is not too cold for you folks to still dive in wetsuits, perhaps we could meet somewhere along the St-Lawrence and you could try my Zeagle Express Tech. It is a one size fits all synthetic backplate with a Wg and I do have an integrated weight system for it. My GF used to dive with a Mares She Dives and she also made the switch, last summer, to that system except she used a slightly different integrated weight system produced by Zeagle. These were not procured locally but through a FL based DS on the internet who shipped it to the UPS store in Ogdensburg which is just on the other side of Prescott's bridge(free shipping) and it cost me about 11.00 to retrieve it plus the HST at customs...

You rock Rene and I will take a rain check indeed (my southern blood can't take the Canadian cold LOL). BUT I appreciate the offer and will take you up on it in the future! Thanks

PS The last three dives have been really great and I plan on joining Sharkeys for Wet Wednesdays next year.

I tried out a drysuit at a local LDS (not the one I frequent) in order to check sizing and bought it online. Saved me over $500. Is that really bad etiquette? It only took 10 minutes of their time.

I can see how it'd be bad if you tried it in their pool and maybe wasted an hour or so of their time. But still...:idk:

Let's see you put your real name out there to the local shops..so they can treat you as well as you did them. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say , buy a good , very cheap BCD as your first. They are not mutually exclusive. Scubapro makes one for rental outfits (cant remember the model) but I have used them on vacation, and they are fine.
Do not spend money on your first. You will want to change in the future as your diving evolves and you discover what your real needs are.
Once you start buying scuba gear, it is a black hole.

Let's see you put your real name out there to the local shops..so they can treat you as well as you did them. :D

Wow, that's harsh. I bought my BCD and regs from my main LDS, as well as all my instruction. But you're suggesting I shell out and extra $500 more than I have to and ignore a great deal?

When I mentioned I tried on a suit, it was a rental suit (not a new suit, so no warranty issues), and I tried it on for size. I also later went to the same LDS (not my main one) and rented out that suit and a tank for two occasions to test it out (not that this should matter). I spent 10 minutes of their time trying out the suit and asking questions. They weren't busy with other customers at the time. I feel that an LDS should provide knowledge of their products and decent customer service.

I never dove the gear without paying for a rental. You're saying that 10 minutes of their expertise is worth $500. I might not be as rich as you that I can throw away money like that. While I respect LDSs and would be willing to pay a little extra for the expertise, there's a limit.

I assume you work at an LDS. Maybe you even own one. Let's see you put your name and the LDS name out there, so I know which one never to go to for decent customer service.

Sorry for the tangent everybody else.

Wow, that's harsh. I bought my BCD and regs from my main LDS, as well as all my instruction. But you're suggesting I shell out and extra $500 more than I have to and ignore a great deal?

When I mentioned I tried on a suit, it was a rental suit (not a new suit, so no warranty issues), and I tried it on for size. I also later went to the same LDS (not my main one) and rented out that suit and a tank for two occasions to test it out (not that this should matter). I spent 10 minutes of their time trying out the suit and asking questions. They weren't busy with other customers at the time. I feel that an LDS should provide knowledge of their products and decent customer service.

I never dove the gear without paying for a rental. You're saying that 10 minutes of their expertise is worth $500. I might not be as rich as you that I can throw away money like that. While I respect LDSs and would be willing to pay a little extra for the expertise, there's a limit.

I assume you work at an LDS. Maybe you even own one. Let's see you put your name and the LDS name out there, so I know which one never to go to for decent customer service.

Sorry for the tangent everybody else.

Sometimes its just communicating your concerns with the LDS..They are trying to run a business and make a profit. The LDs may have offered to apply the 2 rental fees towards the new suit and offer a no charge dry suit speciality course to teach you not only how to use the suit but how to maintain and repair it. That would have brought up the value close to what you paid for it online. This is something that I would have done for the customer. Rental of dry suit @$75. per day x 2= $150. Dry suit speciality ran privately at customers request,at a time and day per customer request cost anywhere from $300-$400.That comes out to 4-6 hours classroom time,2 hours of pool time and 2 open water dives.. So with value added from LDS cost of suit purchase via LDS would have cost you anywhere from $50. more to $50. less than what you paid online.

Back
Top Bottom