How do you try different types of BCDs before buying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've bought at LDS, and online. I make the distinction that

a> If I know what i want, dont need any help or future assistance/help with it, I buy online.
b> If its something that needs fitment, help/advice, using their expertise, etc I buy local. That inventory, and experience didn't come for free, I shouldn't expect to use it, and then not compensate them for it.

I tried out a drysuit at a local LDS (not the one I frequent) in order to check sizing and bought it online. Saved me over $500. Is that really bad etiquette?

Yes.

It only took 10 minutes of their time.

And a $1500-$2000 suit that they paid for, and is now used.

I'm glad I don't own a shop. That would really piss me off.

flots.

Yes.

And a $1500-$2000 suit that they paid for, and is now used.

I'm glad I don't own a shop. That would really piss me off.

flots.

He said he rented it. A couple of times. As part of their rental inventory, of course it is used.

Does a shop have a right to get pissed off if they rent you something and you don't later buy it from them?

I don't think so.

Please let's end this off-topic discussion that has very little relation to the original question.

It's obvious that I've hit upon a contentious topic, where people have very strong opinions either way. I've more than explained myself in my previous posts (i) it was a rental suit (ii) I never went in with the intention of going online; the online deal was something I heard of by chance a few weeks later (iii) I went in to just look around at potential suits. If you want more clarification, you can PM me.

He said he rented it. A couple of times. As part of their rental inventory, of course it is used.

Does a shop have a right to get pissed off if they rent you something and you don't later buy it from them?

I don't think so.

Sure, you walk into an LDS, say "hey, I'm thinking about buying this suit, can I rent one a few times and see if I like it". Ask some questions, etc.

Do you seriously believe the LDS isnt going to give you abit more TLC and help, than Joe Blow coming in to just rent a suit? You've never been in retail if you believe that.

So later now, that the shop has invested some amount of time, they see you a few weeks later with that suit on.

"Oh, I bought it online cheaper".

And you wonder why that LDS wouldnt be pissed ?

Seriously?

I used to run a retail Motorcycle shop, saw the same scenario a thousand times. If I added up all the time I wasted on those folks, its alot. Did it piss me off? You betch'a!

Back
Top Bottom