How do you try different types of BCDs before buying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't work at a dive shop, or do anything related to the dive industry (well, except for spending my money, but no one has complained). I did a lot of research before purchasing my gear. Just got my second reg and bc. I am in the camp that would not use the dive shops stuff acting as if I was going to purchase from them and then get it online. Perhaps you did not do this, I hope not. I bought from a local dive shop where I was able to try out the gear prior to purchase. The prices were quite competitive with internet prices. I simply would be upfront with the lds and tell them what I was doing. If they wanted rental (as I wojuld expect) pay it. If they don't want to play ball, go elsewhere, but I would not resort to deception by either lying or misleading. That would stink. If you are a good customer they will likely bend over to help you.

was the suit you bought the same as the shop? and what kind of warenty does the online site have? would be my two questions!

It was a slight model upgrade with a lifetime warranty on seals/workmanship (while the store one didn't have that lifetime warranty with its specific model). Going into the store, I was prepared to buy a suit from the store (hadn't seen the online sale yet) and wanted to go home and think on it. Yes, clearly I didn't give enough information with my first comment, but that didn't justify personal name calling or insults (---now deleted---). Instead, people could have just asked me for clarification.

Here's how Rick's world waggles when it comes to the "local dive shops". Treat me like I deserve to be treated as a paying customer. I am the reason you are in business and once you forget that....well. I have bought more of my stuff from Dive shops in other provinces as well as in the USA than I have at home here.

While I can't speak for dive shops in other cities the ones here in Winnipeg have absolutley no concept on how to become successful and its blatantly obvious when you walk through the door.

And yes I do hope they read this but I doubt that will happen as I don't believe they even have internet access in their shops.

It's all about the service and selection.

A crapweazle is someone that comes into a local shop, tries things on, takes time, and then leaves and orders them online.

Usually the crapweazle is proud to have saved money, but unaware that his/her behaviorhavior is a factor that contributes to local shops having to have higher prices

Note for mods "crapweazle"is a term courtesy of mikeb of the microsoft motorcycle alias and is a term/label not name calling.

Wow, that's harsh. I bought my BCD and regs from my main LDS, as well as all my instruction. But you're suggesting I shell out and extra $500 more than I have to and ignore a great deal?

When I mentioned I tried on a suit, it was a rental suit (not a new suit, so no warranty issues), and I tried it on for size. I also later went to the same LDS (not my main one) and rented out that suit and a tank for two occasions to test it out (not that this should matter). I spent 10 minutes of their time trying out the suit and asking questions. They weren't busy with other customers at the time. I feel that an LDS should provide knowledge of their products and decent customer service.

I never dove the gear without paying for a rental. You're saying that 10 minutes of their expertise is worth $500. I might not be as rich as you that I can throw away money like that. While I respect LDSs and would be willing to pay a little extra for the expertise, there's a limit.

I assume you work at an LDS. Maybe you even own one. Let's see you put your name and the LDS name out there, so I know which one never to go to for decent customer service.

Sorry for the tangent everybody else.

Hi ScubaNoob, There can be very strong opinions on this subject. First, I will preface my comments by saying that I do not own a dive shop or work for one. Personally, I have never purchased gear online. I'm not against the idea but I figure that the convenience of air fills and product support outweigh the savings of an online purchase. My reasoning largely centers around the idea that a person that I deal with face to face gets to know me and I get to know them. If there is a problem we can generally find a solution, as the good shops really do want to keep their customers reasonably happy. My shop has looked after me well and has fixed little things for free that would have cost a fortune if I was required to ship them somewhere else. Also, I like the idea of seeing exactly what I am getting for my money.

You mentioned that the seals on your suit are lifetime warrantied. Does this cover shipping and what is the turnaround time? Also, is this warranty from the manufacturer or from the online retailer. If you rip a seal on a Thursday night but are planning to go diving on a Saturday morning you may not be able to get the suit shipped both ways that quickly. A local shop that you purchased the suit from will hopefully get on it ASAP as they should be trying to keep you diving, at least if they wish to remain in business. A cancelled trip can prove quite costly and may erode the initial savings on a purchase.

At this point the best way that you can repay the courtesy extended by the shop that you tried the suit out in is to continue to dive and to do some of your shopping there. In the end if you buy air fills and service your gear there they will end up selling you other goods and training thus the shop will come out ahead in the long run.

There are 3 dive shops in the Ottawa area and they all only rent the standard basic BCD. On our last dive, the gear included a weight integrated BCD (which I loved). I would also like to try a back inflated weight integrated BCD before we bite the bullet and buy. And there are different brands to try too (but I seem to be drawn to descriptions of Mares gear).

I don't know anyone who has their own gear. Any ideas? I can't afford to buy BCDs we won't like/use in the future.

Thanks for the replies:D

Well, I will try to get back on track here. I know of several sales reps in the area I live that have "loaners" available for people to try out. Now admittedly, not every size and model are available, but the equipment that they loan out are typically on the nicer models (rather than the entry levels that are usually in the rental fleet). Your local dive shop can make arrangements for that. If you call the supplier, they can also give you contact information for the local sales rep.

Besides that, some companies have try-out days that are usually promotions through dive shops. Unfortunately, many dive shops don't take advantage of these promotional activities because of a lack of manpower to do so.

Beyond that, there is a whole forum segment dedicated to people on ScubaBoard to directly contact the company. If there is a specific brand/model you are interested in, there may be some assistance there. I have watched threads where Aqualung has made arrangements for posters to try gear out--your experience may be different, but it is worth a shot.

Good diving.

jm:
Personally, I have never purchased gear online. I'm not against the idea .....

If you rip a seal on a Thursday night but are planning to go diving on a Saturday morning you may not be able to get the suit shipped both ways that quickly.......

How would you know anything about online purchases if you have never made one?

Most dive shops do not do drysuit work. Chances are it will involve a trip to the manufacturing facility regardless of where it was bought. You may have to pay to rent something.... or maybe skip the dive.

I purchase the bulk of my gear online. I support my LDS by taking classes, and got service from them until they jacked that up big as well. There is nothing wrong with buying gear online. Most all online shops are brick and mortar, so you are helping someone, just not local. I am not high maintenance so have little need to touch and feel things. Reviews work well as they indicate size, weight, ect and scuba gear for the most part comes in sizes S, M, L, XL, etc. Plus places like Scubatoys/LP offer a size guarantee, so they will pay shipping if say M does not fit and you need a large. I have not had to take advantage of that as they can tell you if something runs small for example. I am also a big fan of used gear as there are a ton of people who buy the farm and dive on one vacation. Then off to the next new hobby.

As for BCs if they carry a line you like and the price is decant go for it. I like Back inflate (Zeagle Stiletto, Seaquest Balance), or BP/W style. I have both. I travel (warm water) with the Zeagle. They dive more alike than different. I have dove a few manufactures and they tend to all make quality stuff. Zeagle is one of the few US made. Not everything, but some of it and they can work on anything at their base in FL. Not many shops can make that claim. If you have questions just ask.

How would you know anything about online purchases if you have never made one?.....

I have purchased a few things online but never dive gear. I also said that I have nothing against buying gear online. In fact the LDS that I frequent sells online. I simply prefer to buy it from a local shop so that I can look at it before buying. Sometimes I find that on closer inspection I am not impressed with the item or another product suggested may suit my needs better. My shop also does repair drysuits inhouse unless a warranty claim is involved.

Online sales have been with us far longer than "online" has. Back in the day it was called catalog shopping. It offered a choice over buying locally if unavailable or the retailer wasn't to your personal preference. This is to the consumers advantage as you have alternatives.

All I wanted to do was point out two things:

1) There are some advantages to buying from a dive shop versus online. Neither choice is wrong.
2) As long as she keeps diving the shop has a chance to earn her sales.

As I said, there are strong opinions on the matter. In the end, it is good to point out the pros and cons of each so that people can decide what works for them.

By the way, I like used gear too so long as someone does not "buy the farm" while wearing it! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom