How do you try different types of BCDs before buying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EFB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
There are 3 dive shops in the Ottawa area and they all only rent the standard basic BCD. On our last dive, the gear included a weight integrated BCD (which I loved). I would also like to try a back inflated weight integrated BCD before we bite the bullet and buy. And there are different brands to try too (but I seem to be drawn to descriptions of Mares gear).

I don't know anyone who has their own gear. Any ideas? I can't afford to buy BCDs we won't like/use in the future.

Thanks for the replies:D

Ask the LDS if they have one to try in their pool..Many times they do or can have you try one that is similar(back wing vs jacket type) what ever you do , do not try it out at the lds and then order online.

Join a local dive club, make friends and dive buddies, and see if you can try out their rigs

Ask the LDS if they have one to try in their pool..Many times they do or can have you try one that is similar(back wing vs jacket type) what ever you do , do not try it out at the lds and then order online.

I tried out a drysuit at a local LDS (not the one I frequent) in order to check sizing and bought it online. Saved me over $500. Is that really bad etiquette? It only took 10 minutes of their time.

I can see how it'd be bad if you tried it in their pool and maybe wasted an hour or so of their time. But still...:idk:

There are 3 dive shops in the Ottawa area and they all only rent the standard basic BCD. On our last dive, the gear included a weight integrated BCD (which I loved). I would also like to try a back inflated weight integrated BCD before we bite the bullet and buy. And there are different brands to try too (but I seem to be drawn to descriptions of Mares gear).

I don't know anyone who has their own gear. Any ideas? I can't afford to buy BCDs we won't like/use in the future.

Thanks for the replies:D

Ask.

DWH (not where I go all the time, but have bought some gear there) has their own pool apparently.

I have a SeaQuest Balance (which they carry) back inflate. I love it. They also have a back inflate model with the I3 system (forget the model name). The I3 system is a small lever for adding / releasing air. A work colleague has one and loves it.

Never hurts to ask if they will let you try one in their pool.

Sharky's and KDS don't have their own pools. I have no experience with KDS, but do find Sharky's quite good. Both offer OW courses regularly, so again, doesn't hurt to ask if they would let you try one in the pool during one of their training sessions.

FWIW, the shop who did your training is more likely to say yes, all else being equal.

My Balance is ML. We can arrange for you to try it if it is the right size.

I tried out a drysuit at a local LDS (not the one I frequent) in order to check sizing and bought it online. Saved me over $500. Is that really bad etiquette? It only took 10 minutes of their time.

I can see how it'd be bad if you tried it in their pool and maybe wasted an hour or so of their time. But still...:idk:

Some think it is bad etiquette. Others think it is smart shopping.

And many agree. The key question is did you give the shop a chance to match the price?

The key question is did you give the shop a chance to match the price?

Quick off-topic answer: I assumed that there was no way the shop would be able to afford to match the price, as it was already at least $300 lower than any other internet price. I did feel somewhat bad because the dive shop was very helpful, but I can't justify spending more than $200 extra on an LDS (which I did for my regs/BCD anyway).

Me personally I didn't try on a lot of different BC's. I did however spend lot of time researching review articles and reviews. I was looking for certain characteristics in my BC. It had to have enough lift for cold water diving full 7 mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, and booties yet still be light enough for travel. Only a handful of BC's fit my needs.

I eventually went for a Zeagle Stiletto. Scuba Dive magazine reviews had the Aeris 5 Ocean BC as their favorite BC of the year, yet the Stiletto was just about the same weight and same lift. But it had way more D rings to attach gear. I absolutely love it and would highly recommend it.

That being said, what is important is what you want in your BC and what your needs are. Ask around at the dive shop. Ask your instructor. Ask divers in a local dive club. And when you think you want to buy a particular brand you can always ask here on SB what their opinions are.

There is another thread about a shop that charges to try out any gear, because of the fact is that there are people who go to a dive shop, try on a piece of gear, which after their test run is no longer new, and then order it on line. I thinks that's more than bad etiquette. I think that is disloyalty and dishonesty. The local shop offers more than an online store- like the actual physical presence of the equipment so you can see it, try it on, and try it out. They are paying someone to assist you. They likely have the item you want right there and you can acquire it and take it home. All of that is what you pay for when buying locally. Moreover, you build a relationship with the local store , who will probably offer free service and maintenance on new items, and be there to do it for you. Over time, you save very little or nothing by buying on line. Just a thought.
As to other ways to expand the possibility of trying different types of gear, joining a dive club is a good suggestion. So is establishing an ongoing relationship with your local dive center, who knows you will buy from them. They won't be upset if you don't buy every piece of gear you try out, as long as you buy some. I say that as a customer, because I am not a shop owner.
DivemasterDennis

Make more friends.

Hang out at local dive sites and see what kind of gear is being used and talk to the divers about their gear, especially the more seasoned divers. Some locations use predomintaly use one style of BC because that is what works the best for the local conditions.

Last, but not least, I have used and still have a number of BC's, from horse collars to BP/W's, some work better than others but they all work. Don't spend so much on your first rig that when you find that you want or need a more suitable rig (and you will if you keep diving) you have to wait ten years for your bank account to recover.

Bob
----------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom