How do you secure your wing nuts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These Dive Rite Delrin Thumbwheels are the same ones I use, and I have not had any problems with them. However, I flip them over so the bigger side with the larger surface-area is facing the plate, and I also place a thin/wide rubber compression washer between each thumbwheel and the backplate to provide extra grip and locking force. This combination has been rock-solid, and has never once loosened on me.

Hope this helps!

aside from being much cheaper than the OMS ones, the advantage of the delrin ones is that thread galling isn't liable to happen since there is no metal-metal contact. Downside is you don't have great finger grip on them if you're doing it in gloves when you need to snug/unsnug them, but that's not really an issue for most people
I see a lot of wing nuts that is metal on metal. I like those due to thick gloves. Also, I think it was @nwgratefuldiver who had delrins wear out during a dive. That must not have been fun to suddenly have your twinset on your back.

I don't think the wear of the threads is that much of an issue. If it is, I'd just include that in my periodic maintenance.

Also have heard stories of the delrin nuts failing. I have seen single tank configurations that route the cam straps through the wing and the backplate. That could completely eliminate the need for an STA if you can do that on your equipment.

At $6 a pair, I'd toss them at the first sign of an issue. I have like 6 sets of them already. Funny (not really) is that last year I showed up for an out of town, and middle of nowhere dive weekend without any.... Time to get more, and stash them in various places (truck, boat, gear bag, etc.).

Yes, my new nickname with the group is "wingnut"...

I see a lot of wing nuts that is metal on metal. I like those due to thick gloves. Also, I think it was @nwgratefuldiver who had delrins wear out during a dive. That must not have been fun to suddenly have your twinset on your back.

I don't think the wear of the threads is that much of an issue. If it is, I'd just include that in my periodic maintenance.

usually an issue of people cranking them down too tight. You don't have to or want to crank on them. If you do, the risk of the threads galling and getting stuck is probably higher than the threads shearing during a dive... Keep spares laying around. I haven't had one fail yet, but I baby them

Tobin when DSS was alive made some great Delrin star nuts. Super easy to grip. Never had any issues and my 10+ year old ones still work great. He used to post a pick online of his pickup being hoisted up in the air with them.

I recently had a delrin one fail on my rebreather. Noticed the thing was pretty wobbly about halfway through the dive, made a mental note to snug those up later. It got super wobbly during deco, and while wobbling it around I saw a washer fall out—yep, lost the nut. I suspect I only had a couple of threads engaged and it pulled out (I’d been meaning to get longer bolts). It was less than fun, to say the least.

I don’t blame the material, though, as I’ve used them for years without problems on doubles and rebreathers. Just pointing out to make sure they are snug, and you’ve got decent thread engagement.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom