How do you secure your wing nuts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After completing my GUE Fundamentals course in February, my wife and I took the plunge and purchased a back plate and wing setup. We're very happy with it. (I wanted to go back plate and wing straight out of Open Water, but one must take baby steps for everyone's comforts.)

Anyway, what I've noticed is that I really need to crank down on the wing nuts that hold our single-tank adapter to the back plate. If I don't, they tend to loosen over the course of a dive and the tank starts to wobble.

How do you all secure your wing nuts to prevent this while still maintaining their ability to disengage after a dive for cleaning and drying?
IDK, I've been using regular SS wing nuts directly on the studs with no washers of any kind for like 20 years now and have never had one come even a little loose on a dive. I just tighten them as tight as they will go with my fingers, then tap or press down on the plate to be sure it's all the way on the studs, and check the nuts one more time just to be sure. When It's time to remove the wing nuts, they come right off with the same max finger pressure required to install them.

<deleted when I realized I just gave more or less the same reply I had already made a year and a half ago>
at least you are consistent

Thanks @covediver. I am also only running a single-tank configuration. I still want to be able to take the rig apart after each dive to clean and dry it properly, and being able to do this fast is an added convenience of the wingnuts. Likely the thumbwheels will be just as convenient. With lock nuts, do you need to use a wrench or a socket set to tighten down STA?
yes. I use a nut driver or socket ratchet to tighten and loosen the lock nut

you could also just use a couple of these, no?

1708534885310.png

The point of the binder bolts isn't to hold the wing on the plate. They are really just there to keep it from flopping around when there isn't a tank on it. Once the tank is on, the bolts become superfluous.

Oh, you guys are talking about using an STA. Never mind. I'd delete this but then my brilliant idea would be wasted. Carry on.

Tobin when DSS was alive made some great Delrin star nuts. Super easy to grip. Never had any issues and my 10+ year old ones still work great. He used to post a pick online of his pickup being hoisted up in the air with them.
Tobin had so many ideas, gifted hands amd made lots of cool stuff.

I really miss DSS

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom