How do you secure your equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firediver293:
It's not so much the gear I am worried about as I can secure it in the vehicle. What do you do with your key?

Now, if I told you where I left my key, you or someone else reading this could steal my van!!!

LUBOLD8431:
Now, if I told you where I left my key, you or someone else reading this could steal my van!!!

So that's a vote for hide-a-key. Only so many places to hide it and that's what I am not comfortable with it. I told my wife about the valet key suggestion, and she told me it has the computer chip in it too. Not sure, but she is pretty darn smart so she probably knows what she is talking about.

So I guess, my technique will continue. All gear not being used along with keys gets locked in the box.

So when you all see me, just look at me with the weird and confused look.

For the record, all divers I have ever met have been great. I don't think any of them would think of taking anything. But I do have a lot of $$ invested, and maybe I am paranoid, but at least my gear will be secure.

A few years ago, up here in the greater Boston area, a local technical diver had his van stolen with a whole lot of dive gear in it. He was basically one of those guys that kept everything in his van. Doubles, stages, drysuits, O2 analyzers, haskel booster, o2 storage bottles, multiple regs, yada, yada, yada...

The thief had to be a diver. They knew what they were after... and they didnt have the key...

So, the bottom line is, if someone wants your stuff bad enough, they will get it. no matter what. thats why I dont go thru hoops of fire to keep my stuff locked up. Thats also why I dont leave alot of extra gear in my van...

firediver293:
So that's a vote for hide-a-key.

I'll actually vote against hide-a-keys. I have a friend who's a detective in an auto theft division, and he said that hide-a-keys are one of the worst inventions ever. Most of the time, the owner sticks it to the inside of a bumper or wheel well, which both can be checked by a thief in a matter of seconds. Also, thieves who steal from divers will stake out a parking area, see what they do to hide keys or whatever, and just wait until the divers hit the water. Which also explains why hiding keys under rocks (which a surprising number of divers do) is a bad idea.

BTW, here's a link for a key sized dry box: http://www.joediveramerica.com/scubagear/prods/DB-010X.html
Not exactly like my buddy's, but you get the idea.

My SUV has the computer security chip in it also. I have one on a ring by it's self & I just clip it onto the clip inside my BC pocket. The water doesn't hurt it at all.

If you are still concerned, you can have a spare key made. Even without the computer chip, it will still open the doors. Even though it won't start the vehicle, it will allow you to get inside the vehicle to your other key.

James

Firediver,

I'm with you....I drive a Jeep and keep everything that I don't dive with (incl keys) locked inside a strudy box that is big enough to even store spare tanks. I then take a coiled cable for bikes and wrap it around the rear roll bar and use a combo padlock.

Is it theft proof? NO, nothing is 100%, My dad always said, "Locks only keep honest people out" I have to believe that. But it will sure slow them down to keep the opportunist thieve from getting anything.

Wildbill:cop_2:

Wildbill:
Firediver,

I'm with you....I drive a Jeep and keep everything that I don't dive with (incl keys) locked inside a strudy box that is big enough to even store spare tanks. I then take a coiled cable for bikes and wrap it around the rear roll bar and use a combo padlock.

Is it theft proof? NO, nothing is 100%, My dad always said, "Locks only keep honest people out" I have to believe that. But it will sure slow them down to keep the opportunist thieve from getting anything.

Wildbill:cop_2:

Thank you Wildbill. Glad I am not alone.

...because living in the Washington DC suburbs taught me to. Our cars were broken into twice, inside the closed garage while I lived there. So it has become a habit to keep everything under lock and key. When diving with my pickup, spare tanks, wallets, clothes, the works are locked in the steel toolbox a the front of the bed. One key to the toolbox is hidden, the other is on a clip inside the pouch on the waistbelt of my backplate rig. That way I don't have to haul the big wad of car keys into the water with me.

At Gilboa, I tend to leave things out, and unlocked. But when we go other places, like Higgins Lake, with lots of swimmers and (god forbid) personal watercraft riders around, I make sure everything is locked up and out of sight. Even things left in the cab of the truck and covered with a blanket or towel, as I believe that "out of sight, out of mind" is really true.

gfisher4792:
BTW, here's a link for a key sized dry box: http://www.joediveramerica.com/scubagear/prods/DB-010X.html
Not exactly like my buddy's, but you get the idea.
I use one of those little otter boxes, just like that, i can take this little box when i go kayaking or diving (tying it to a piece of webbing with the lanyard to keep out of the way and not dangling). I dont know if my key really needs that box protection, but i like to have it with me rather than leaving it anywhere. I can also keep other little bits in there if needs be, stops you having the rusting problem for key and lock from the salt water for sure! (I know you can wash it with fresh water, but this negates that altogether). The box is fairly small and sealed with a rubber membrane around the opening.

Back
Top Bottom