How do you secure your deco bottles for transport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^ I have lost a large (H if I recall correctly) O2 tank out of the back of a truck once. The tailgate on my bothers truck did not latch right. Used it until it was empty and returned it.

I am not trying to make light of the safety risks associated with O2. They are serious and can have dire consequences.

With that said look at the amount of 02 that is used every day and how few incidents there are....... I had been working with 02 for well over a decade, including cascade filling, before I read the Oxygen Hacker book. If I had read that book without my previous experience I would have been scared to death of it.

remember that the house fire was due to a tank that the owner thought was o2 cleaned but the shop that cleaned it didn't actually clean it.

....and what's more, they added silicone grease to the tank neck before inserting the uncleaned valve.

While oxygen stuff is a consideration and something to be taken seriously, I'm also concerned with ensuring my deco/stage bottles don't get accidentally turned on and drained. It's a real bummer to show up to a dive with empty tanks!

I lay them flat and clipped together to prevent rolling and sliding around and everything gets either a din plug or a reg attached unless oxygen, then it's either reg or nothing.

Also valves are toward the rear of the truck in case I have to slam on the brakes. I'd rather have the base of the tank hit the truck bed than the valve.

I just throw it all in the back - it'll be fine. Generally it's packed so tightly that nothing moves. With regs on the tanks and hoses stowed I have not had anything roll around too much even when it is packed loose. I may build a tank holder eventually but for now - I see little reason to. I saw an o2 tank fall off a truck at a red light once and the guy hopped out threw it back in and went on his way. YMMV

I use ratchet straps tieing the valves together and anchored on both ends to the corners of the bed unless I have enough stuff to pile on top in order to keep them from rolling.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom