How do you secure your deco bottles for transport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sometimes driving to a dive site, a thought crosses my mind that if knocking an O2 bottle over can wipe out half of a house, a car accident may not be survivable. I'm guessing for anyone, who transports bottles commercially, there is nothing to contemplate, just specific regulations to follow. I haven't really done much to secure mine yet, but I'm warming up to the idea. How do you secure yours?

How oxygen clean are your oxygen cleaned tanks? The case I'm remembering they couldn't find an ignition source, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. But diver cars exploding seems rare.

You could also use steel tanks, as they are apparently a lot harder to get burning, if this a major concern to you. Steel will burn in 100% IIRC, but not nearly as easily or energetically as Al.

Very good question. I honestly have not the faintest idea! I'm not really quite sure how well I understand the risks. Right now, I have 100% and 50% bottles, both assembled at a shop. One seemed content to just slap a valve on it, fill it with some O2, and be done with it. Another sent in a newly purchased, and factory sealed tank for tumbling before putting EAN50 in it. There seems to me much confusion, many fuzzy and contradictory claims surrounding the whole O2 cleaning business. I started to lean a bit on a paranoid side.

Depending on the number of cylinders and size I'm carrying, I'll use one or two of these against the headboard of the truck.
With AL40's I made some spacers so they move around less.
145-default-l.jpg

or I'll stand them up against the headboard of the truck bed and ratchet strap them down and place the gear bags along the base of the cylinders.
Mains and a single deco bottle. I lay them down in the bed and put gear bags on the side to keep them in place.

The same way I transport any of my other tanks.

I built some wooden tank racks that work well, and need to build more, right now I only have 2. One holds 3, 130cf tanks, the other 3, 100cf tanks. Right now my extra tanks are just ratchet strapped to the floor. After thousands of miles they have not moved. I would like more racks though, just am matter of time.

Just put them in the back of my car with the rest of my kit. Usually wedge them between things

I just lay them on their side with the valves facing in. Sometimes I toss them on top of my doubles rig. I find having the regs on helps stabilize stage/deco bottles, but isn't a neccessity.

remember that the house fire was due to a tank that the owner thought was o2 cleaned but the shop that cleaned it didn't actually clean it. Not something you can fairly compare to normal use. I have seen o2 bottles get thrown out of a pickup bed and not ignite. Not that I would recommend doing it obviously, but I just wedge the o2 bottles in so they can't clank around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom