How do you secure your camera while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a retractable grabber lanyard with a suicide clip when the camera is not in use, just in case the lanyard cable breaks. I lost a dive light with a wrist lanyard while messing with my camera once, now I clip every thing off.

I have a simple wrist lanyard attached to the arm of my camera and I slip this on as soon as I lay hands on the camera in water.

At the base of one of the arms I have a metal ring and on my bcd I have brass clips so if I ever need to go hands free I can simply pop the metal ring onto the hook fast and easily.

Same here, my dx5000g has a wrist lanyard attached to the housing that stays on my wrist from the time the camera is handed to me in the water until I hand it back up to the boat.

Having said that, I NEVER let the camera 'dangle' from my arm as I'm swimming around. That's a good way to end up helplessly watching your precious dollars float down into the abyss. I usually let the housing's lens extension rest in the crook between my thumb and forefinger when I'm not shooting. This works really well when I have my wide angle lens attached, but also works well without it on there. I realize that some of the SLR/DSLR housings may be too bulky for this techique, but it works well with my compact.

An extra 'coiled' lanyard or some sort of clip to attach to your BC isn't a bad idea for a back up system, but keeping your hands on your camera at all times is the best and safest way to protect your investment.

I do exactly as Alcina.
It's important to be able to have two free hands immiedatly. But if you have time, clip it off.

I have a short length of thick nylon cord (about 3-4" long), attached to a marine bolt snap. The snap attaches to the strap of my wrist-mount computer on my right hand. That way, the camera is always in reach of my hand without needing to be unclipped or stowed, and the cord is short enough where the camera isn't getting banged up/dragged around anywhere. I've only got a tiny point-n-shoot with no external strobes though.

My Pentax Optio S4i in its factory dive housing is smaller than many cameras even before they're put in a housing, so it fits right inside my BC pocket. That way I take it on every dive, whether I'm planning to use it or not!

I do have one of those coil lanyard thingies connected to the D-ring just above the pocket. I zip the pocket all the way up to the coil, which extends down into the pocket to connect to the camera.

If I deploy the camera underwater, I pack it back into the BC pocket during my safety stop (what else are ya gonna do just hanging there?).

This way, I don't need anyone's help to handle my camera... but the downsides are the Pentax sacrifices quality for compactness, and I can't use a nice strobe and still get away with stashing my camera in this manner. But for now it's worth it to ALWAYS have my camera with me!

>*< Fritz

i have a lanyard similar to Callescafe's photograph, without meaning any offence i have seen the ones in the other photograph (supplied by SPG3K) in oh so many dive shops & noted the plastic clips at the end. These clips are very vulnerable to breaking and becoming brittle in uv light i have friends who have lost precious pieces of dive kit for that reason and it's why i choose the ones similar to Callescafe's photograph - the ends are marine grade stainless steel (you can get brass ones).

a friend of mine uses 2 carabinas on the ends of webbing which he clips to a d ring on the stab jacket - works for him.

I take a little bit of issue with those who either don't attach the camera, etc. to their BC or just use a wrist lanyard. I carry a sizeable rig, housing with two strobes. In a couple cases, I've had to deal with a diver emergency at depth. You just don't have time to attach the camera to your BC and the wrist lanyard gets into the way. I just let go of the camera knowing it is attached.

I suggest as others have using the lanyard with the coil, but I'd suggest getting one with a magnetic clip in place of the manual plastic clip. The magnetic clip can be coupled with one hand just by getting the two pieces close together. Once clipped the camera tends to stay out of the way. Mine is slightly negative, so it just hangs off my BC at my side.

I can't imagine trying to clip my camera to my BC with an OOA diver in my face.

Just my 2 psi.

divengolf,

can you please put a picture of the magnetic clip up? i would be happy to trust my coil in an emergency, but i think keeping it out of the way would be more useful and like the idea of saving valuable time. i always think that the best way to deal with an incident is not to go there in the first place & being prepared is half way to doing just that.

Just another idea (posted before!). I replace the tie-wraps frequently!
cmount.jpg

Back
Top Bottom