How do you remove Jet's straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
i have a pair of SP Jet fins, and i want to get spring straps for them...

looking at the straps that come with the fins, looks like they're welded on there!

anyone have any tips for removing them?

I popped them off with a big pair of aviation tin snips. I didn't cut the metal at all, I inserted the tip of the 20" snips into the buckle (not on the outside) and pulled hard outward on the snips with both hands, and they popped right off. You can use a bench vise in reverse; instead of clamping some vises have a tool in which you can pull apart medal D and O-rings; this is the same principal I used with the snips.

H2Andy:
i have a pair of SP Jet fins, and i want to get spring straps for them...

looking at the straps that come with the fins, looks like they're welded on there!

anyone have any tips for removing them?

Had to post this in the right thread!

Piece of cake (if you have the right tools)! Take a large pair of tin snips and pop them off as I did in the photos below. The process shouldn’t take you more then 5 seconds a buckle. You may reuse the buckle by placing it back on the fin and snapping them shut with a large pair of channel lock pliers. You will only be able to reuse the buckles once. Hope this helps…please PM me if you need anymore help and I’ll try to advise.

Don't cut...Pull out on pliers to pop off buckle:

that looks promising, Poseidon... gotta try that

(yes... i still haven't managed to get the straps off)

Hey Andy, want me to bring my dremel to Ginnie for ya?

I simply used two pairs of channel lock plyers and muscled them apart. Took about 10 seconds a pair.

Now Andy,
with all of this advice...........:)

ok.... update

after buying a (cheap) dremel, the straps came off, relatively easy

then... the suck

took me for ever, huffing, puffing, and several cut fingers to get the first strap
installed

having learned from that, the second strap went on very easily (five minutes, tops)

instead of leaving well enough alone, i revisited the first strap, which became a
mess... after two hours of frustration, i have given up for a little bit and will
try again tomorrow

so, at the moment, i have one fin with spring straps and one without...

did i mention i am not mechanically inclined?

ok, finally done

one fin looks perfect, beautiful

the other looks like it got ran over by a train

but at least the straps are on, and i'm ready to dive

H2Andy:
ok, finally done

one fin looks perfect, beautiful

the other looks like it got ran over by a train

but at least the straps are on, and i'm ready to dive

Now that you got a new dremel and exercise after putting those things on. I will now tell you that the DIY thread has a lot about making your own from cheap/fast to really professional. Here's a link that summarizes the options:

http://www.atlanticunderwater.com/equipment/springstraps.shtml

I simply bought two ss springs for $9 and 4 ss rings to attach the springs to those buckles (with cave line to restrict the stretch and clear plastic tubing ... home depot). Done. :crafty:

Now its my turn to get yelled at :D
I have the US Divers Rockets, and have decided to go with springs.

Is the Rockets and the Jetfin DIY spring straps plans the same ?

Or is there a difference?

Back
Top Bottom