How do you remove Jet's straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.mcmaster.com/

I put the parts on my two sets of Jets for $14.00 + shipping each.

I leave the metal retainers on the Jets in case I break a spring and need to thread the rubber back through. I just loop the spring through and crimp it. Works fine for me. No need to mod the fins.

Andy,

I'll take a pic when I get back to FL if you'd like to see how I rigged it. It's solid and won't come undone. You can go back and forth between springs and rubber if you'd like without messing with cutting anything.

mempilot:
http://www.mcmaster.com/

I put the parts on my two sets of Jets for $14.00 + shipping each.

I leave the metal retainers on the Jets in case I break a spring and need to thread the rubber back through. I just loop the spring through and crimp it. Works fine for me. No need to mod the fins.

Andy,

I'll take a pic when I get back to FL if you'd like to see how I rigged it. It's solid and won't come undone. You can go back and forth between springs and rubber if you'd like without messing with cutting anything.

You attached the whole Mcmaster Car catalog to your fins? How is the bouyancy? :wink:

dlndavid:
You attached the whole Mcmaster Car catalog to your fins? How is the bouyancy? :wink:

All right you smart a s s! LOL You're lucky you're all the way over dar in Cali. :D

Two SS 11" springs and 2' of clear tubing. Cheap, but effective.

I just drilled out the top section of the pin to get my original straps off. Then two sets of pliers to pray the buckle open and throw it away. I got a set of Manta spring straps for $25 on ebay.

MSilvia:
Me either, so I made my own for about $20. I'm not worried about failure, but spring straps are much easier for me to put on.

If you look at the buckle, you'll see that the pin has been punched on the top and bottom to mushroom it so it can't slip off. If you file that "mushroom" off (a Dremel will do it fast) so the pin is flush with the buckle, it'll pop right out.

Ditto that. Hard to beat a Dremel for some projects. Just be careful not to score the fin rubber while doing it. A small pair of bolt cutters works even faster. It takes some nerve to wreck a pair of brand new Jets, but you'll like it better on the dark side....

WD

The drilling/grinding is a pita and waste of time.

If you take a large pair of pliers, and put each jaw on one side of the buckle (not touching the pin) and press down, that weld will pop right off. Takes 5 seconds.

detroit diver:
The drilling/grinding is a pita and waste of time.

If you take a large pair of pliers, and put each jaw on one side of the buckle (not touching the pin) and press down, that weld will pop right off. Takes 5 seconds.
This worked well with one set of fins but when I tried this with my wife's set the welding must have been stonger because I couldn't repeat my performance. It also took me about 10 minutes, not 5 seconds just for the record. However, no "beeps" out of my mouth so not too high on the DIY dif. level. At any rate, I broke out the dremmel for her pair. Just pointing out that some of us (like me) are not good DIY folks! :wink: Heck, I forgot I even had a dremmel until someone mentioned using one for this job!!

I left the metal buckle on there and attached the springs to that.

Back
Top Bottom