How do you prevent sunburns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you wearing a mask during surface swims? Supposedly, you can't get sunburned through automobile glass. I don't know if that's applicable to scuba glass.

Yes, you can. Normal auto glass screens out UV-B but not UV-A (at least according to this month's VIA magazine from AAA). The tempered glass in a scuba mask should do the same. It's possible to get auto glass that also screens UV-B. Personally I've never noticed a problem locally even though I don't use sunscreen, except when I spend a lot of time in the sun during SIs. But that usually only lasts for a weekend or two, until I tan or the fog moves in. Judging by his photo, though, the OP's a lot paler than I am.

Guy (the Spanish/Portuguese ancestry helps)

I use Soleo... best sunscreen I've ever used. Apply it once in the morning and dive the rest of the day. Rarely have to reapply. I didn't use it the past three days (it was in my dive bag) and burned a little each day. Top rated sunscreen based on independent studies.

I have had problems with sun screen washing off my face and getting in my eyes when my mask flooded. An unexpected fin to the face is never fun but adding an unpleasant stinging that you can't wipe away from your eyes makes it a whole lot worse. Next time I am going to try putting Sun Screen on a half hour before exposure and wipe off any excess from my mask area (face) before the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom