How do you pay for SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i agree with missRed on this one, LB Bry.

i save up for it. buying stuff on credit is nice but only if u pay for it full when its due; otherwise, patience is needed.

and oh, i think a better question would be: how do you control yourself when shopping for scuba gears?

cause that is what got most people into trouble!

KCIREVAM:
Start collecting aluminum cans and cash them in!!!!!!!! WHO-RA

That's a heck of a lot of cans....So my wetsuit cost me....carry the 1...10,000 cans. Wow, I think I'd cry if I had to collect cans for my new dive computer.

Insurance money paid for my gear, but usually I'm an Aircrew member on military aircraft (flight pay helps). Right now I'm studying to pay be an interpreter, so language pay helps fund it too. The Air Force in general pays pretty well once you've been in a while and you make it past E-4. Being a single E-5/E-6 selectee helps too.

I have managed to get myself into way too many expensive hobbies. Hooray for D.I.N.K. (Dual Income No Kids). At some point I may need to be smarter about it all, but for now a reasonable car, reasonable house and smart spending allows me my play time.

- Live in Utah, so I ski way too much and lift prices/season passes are $$$.
- Scuba diving is all travel diving, not much to dive here in Utah that interests me.
- During the summer its all golf.
- Top it all off with being a photography junkie.

Find things you love to do and then figure out how to make it work. If I have to work, I may as well get something out of it that I love. Next step is to find a job I love and I will be all set.

Good job, house and cars paid for. And member of a Volunteer Fire Dept with a Dive Team. Dept pays for the training, free air at firehouse and good friends with the LDS owner gets me great deals on gear.

BeachJunkie:
I've actually considered donating blood ..
They didn't want my blood.... 10 years in the UK (mad cow decease) and many times in the far east.... my blood is not wanted.... Not even for free. I told them that the madness was natural.

So I just work in an office with a window and some cave maps on the wall.:D

Working part time as an EMT earns play money. Like others here, I am a rescue diver for the county and they pay for a lot of what I get to do. Have access to free air...

BeachJunkie:
Well while a "couple thousand" dollars may be nothin to some, I don't make anywhere near enough for that. spending 25 thousand dollars in 1 year on diving... I barely make that in a year. I'm actually looking forward to going to afghanistan this spring just so I'll be able to save enough money to buy gear. Hopefully I'll be able to do the whole "move to florida, buy a boat, dive all I want" scenerio. But for now, I'll just have to do with the quarry and rental gear.

Don't worry about how much other people spend... Just worry about having a good (and safe) time yourself.

My friends and I mostly own our own gear, and are trying to work on maybe one big group trip a year at best...

Desa:
Working part time as an EMT earns play money. Like others here, I am a rescue diver for the county and they pay for a lot of what I get to do. Have access to free air...

they are charging for air now :11: damn those republicans. :)

I surf the web for a large bank, my goal is find the end of the web. Sometimes I do IT work for them surfing schedule permitting.

TheRedHead:
You have to be able to spell, sorry!

Hey, I now have scrabble so I is learning good :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom