How do you pay for SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhadamantus:
and oh, i think a better question would be: how do you control yourself when shopping for scuba gears?

cause that is what got most people into trouble!

I totally agree...I wound up at Leisure Pro in New York without any money...bad idea. If I go shopping the whole store is coming home with me.

Meng_Tze:
They didn't want my blood.... 10 years in the UK (mad cow decease) and many times in the far east.... my blood is not wanted.... Not even for free. I told them that the madness was natural.

So I just work in an office with a window and some cave maps on the wall.:D

One year in Germany (while the US Military was getting their beef from UK) was enough to get me blackballed for life.

I don't have a window.

I can't put things on the wall.

I got a job that pays well, and bought basicly all the gear I need while I was still single. I'm married now, and paying for a house, so I don't have quite as much play money, but since I live 1/2 mile from the ocean, own my gear, and get free fills, diving doesn't seem expensive anymore.

Of course... I'd still like a can light and scooter, but no hurry on either.

MSilvia:
Of course... I'd still like a can light and scooter,
Oh I hear you...if only I had stayed single a little while longer....

My paychecks go to the bills so my wife can stay home and raise the kids. Difficult but worth it. I teach EMT and CPR on the side for my "fun fund", which includes diving.

Being a hack musician in the Denver area, all my gig earnings go into my dive bucket.... but don't hold your breath (good scuba advice <grin>) it doesn't come close to paying for my diving hobby - but helps greatly! I just gotta keep my corporate America job for a while longer....

I first learned to dive as a correspondent for a travel magazine. That was a nice way to subsidize the cashola I was spending. Looking back though, paying for boat dives and rental equipment was very inexpensive compared to what I'm looking at now with diving a CCR (COPIS Meg). Fortunately, in the meantime I founded a news media company, Newsvine, which pays the bills and allows for some diving, financially. Only problem is.... as a business owner, now time is the limiting constraint!:shakehead

I don't know, but you folks (active vets) should have access to dive clubs and activities, possibly through the USO. I may be dreaming in a fairy-tale world,but Seals have the latest equipment and the Navy wrote the dive tables. The Seals can't be using all of that gear all of the time there's probably more than a couple Navy divers that would share their knowledge with some fellow soldiers.

My supervisor is a Marine Officer and he skydives regularly with a military club. Same thing, they've got the gear and the knowledge and you guys deserve to have a good time.

I'm an electrician for a large automaker. I work 10 hour days, 7 days a week. I also get six weeks vacation a year. DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!

Azza:
Oh I hear you...if only I had stayed single a little while longer....
Hmm...I'm single and I keep thinking if only i had someone to split the rent and utilities with I could buy the doubles I have been wanting and take that Tech I class. For now I just keep picking up extra shifts on the weekends to keep diving and maybe someday I'll get those doubles and drysuit.

I sell YOU the stuff YOU need(or not)for diving and that keeps ME diving:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom