How do you O2 Clean a Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It needs to be free of O2-incompatible parts and contaminants such as hydrocarbon deposits. This generally involves replacing rubber O-rings with O-rings made of materials such as Viton, extensively cleaning the regulator using an ultrasonic cleaner, and using only O2 compatible lubrication such as Christolube. Someone else can fill in the details, but that's the gist of it.

Technically you cannot completely O2 clean a reg. If you were to do it a clean room under a vacuum, maybe, but as soon as you brought it out to the 'dirty' world the O2 cleanliness would be gone.

On the other hand you can get if O2 serviced and ready for O2 handling. There is a difference in the terminology.

Buy Vance's book here. It's a great source. He's also a member here - oxyhacker.

Better yet, take a class.

This is a topic I have been thinking of since I will be getting myself certified for Enrich Air soon.

Suppose I have my regulator O2 cleaned (might better say O2 serviced) while the majority usage of the regulator is with typical air, will this have any effect of the life time of the service requirement and etc?

As long as you're only using recreational limits of EANx (up to 40%), you don't have to worry about it.

wunat:
This is a topic I have been thinking of since I will be getting myself certified for Enrich Air soon.

Suppose I have my regulator O2 cleaned (might better say O2 serviced) while the majority usage of the regulator is with typical air, will this have any effect of the life time of the service requirement and etc?
You would need to get it cleaned again in order to use with O2.

You don't need a reg cleaned for typical nitrox use.. we're talking EAN50, EAN80, or 100% O2.

Jee Whiz info. Viton is not an acceptable material for Aqua Lung regulators. Aqua Lung's parnet company has stated that Aqua Lung North America shall absolutely not use viton in any breathing regulator. Their parent company, makers of 02 regulators for the medical industry, had a viton 0-ring burn producing a toxic gas killing a patient.

Demi:
Jee Whiz info. Viton is not an acceptable material for Aqua Lung regulators. Aqua Lung's parnet company has stated that Aqua Lung North America shall absolutely not use viton in any breathing regulator. Their parent company, makers of 02 regulators for the medical industry, had a viton 0-ring burn producing a toxic gas killing a patient.

Correct, instead use EPDM o-rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom