Flash rust in O2 bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Enevoldsen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
How do you avoid flash rust, when O2 cleaning your RB tanks for 100% O2?

I find it extremely difficult, even when i do the final cleaning i near boiling water, and uses scuba-air afterwards to flush the water out.

Hit me….

Use enough air and have the bottle upside down completely you should be good. If you use 1/2” pex to get the air up into the cylinder that should help. You could try a rust inhibitor at the end of your process but as long as you do things quickly you should be okay without it.

How much air are you using? I use between 500-1000psi of an aluminum 80 to ensure it’s dry.

Use enough air and have the bottle upside down completely you should be good. If you use 1/2” pex to get the air up into the cylinder that should help. You could try a rust inhibitor at the end of your process but as long as you do things quickly you should be okay without it.

How much air are you using? I use between 500-1000psi of an aluminum 80 to ensure it’s dry.
Thanx - i will give the pex tube a try👍

Hi
How do you avoid flash rust, when O2 cleaning your RB tanks for 100% O2?

I find it extremely difficult, even when i do the final cleaning i near boiling water, and uses scuba-air afterwards to flush the water out.

Hit me….
I O2 cleaned tanks by doing the whole simple green thing, then chasing all that out with distilled water. I turned them upside down to drain hanging in a special holder I fabricated. Then I took a bottle of C02 (which I have around for portable compressed gas for running air tools) and hooked an air blower up to it and blew out the remaining water out of the cylinder. I made two different blowers by soldering a long copper tube onto a regular trigger blower. One was straight for the bottom area, and the second one had a bend in the end so I could blow all the water out backwards from the walls and neck area. Some people use dry nitrogen for this too.
After blowing it for a while I looked inside and the steel was perfectly grey and it was dry, no flash rust. Deny oxygen and there will be no rust. Then I purged out any remaining C02 with clean tank air and was done.

I use this stuff. You mix 1oz to a gallon of water:

I have this and have used it but don’t see a difference as long as you dry it well with enough dry air. I have a large dive compressor which makes that easier with dry air available. Most of the people I see with rusty tanks are getting bad fills from poorly maintained compressors or inadequately dried tanks after hydro or cleaning.

I can tell you one thing to avoid: being a moron and using 32% nitrox instead of air to dry out the tank. Ask me how I know.
Compound O definitely works. Its not necessary but it definitely is a great cheat

Compound O and using breathing air for drying. Having one's own compressor makes this easier. It takes somewhat less than a steel 72 or AL80 of air to dry a tank thoroughly. Seal it up immediately so water from the ambient air does not condense on the inside of the tank.

Blue Gold. $40 on amazon with $4.99 shipping.

It is too expensive to use on everything, but that's what you need for steel.

Blue Gold. $40 on amazon with $4.99 shipping.

It is too expensive to use on everything, but that's what you need for steel.

What's special about it compared to simple green/etc. ?

Matan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom