How do you manage bubbles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apadua

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

I have a question that has to do with photographers but not with photography :). How do you guys deal with OpenCircuit Bubbles? I won't go into CCR, so that's not a solution.

Short of holding your breath (which i sometimes do to maintain depth and steadiness... shhh), any other tips, gear or behavior, that would assist in not scaring away the marine life?

Thanks,

Andre

Actually, Freediving is an option. Gotta learn though. I thought of something that would either disperse the bubbles, making them tiny, or something... but no point doing that if animals are equally scared of microbubbles :).

Double hose regulator, gets the bubbles behind you and away from your face. Much easier with a camera and the fish don't appear to be as afraid if them.

If you spend some time watching fish... the sound (pressure wave) from exhaling scares fish...at a surprising distance.

For a long time I just suffered, but eventually found a couple of things that help.

1. Do not use a metal second stage...metal bad.... plastic good in this case. Nothing I have been able to do will fix the sound from a metal case.

2. Learn to soft exhale. Turns out it is not the exhale, but the sudden sound at the start (yea, I know, surprised me also)... so learn to make a soft start.

Some regulators seem better at allowing this.. so you may have to try different ones. My apex are great for this.

However, one good thing.... you will know when you are doing it correctly.

Has allowed me to get very close to fish and not scare them....

Here is a soap fish nuzzling my finger...

soapfish_821.JPG

A goby shot from around a foot away (very touchy fish)

bluegoby740.JPG

Red grouper saying Hi:

grouper1003.JPG

Drift diving is a very different story, as movement scares fish also...it only works when you can be still.

Hold your breath for a second.

(... but only if you can tell why you're normally not supposed to).

Hold your breath for a second.

(... but only if you can tell why you're normally not supposed to).

That works for a second, but does not get fish to come to you.

My dive buddy is a fairly new diver, and for his first year, I would tell him how different it was after all the noise makers leave.. sort of looks like a Disney movie. with everything coming out after the evil witch has left....I still remember the dive when he could stay down with me... and was quiet enough... he came up shocked. Remember the wizard of oz... when the house lands and every one hides.. and finally comes out singing.. it is like that..

I have a short video of what it looks like

This video is in around 90 ft off of Destin Florida, shows how the fish act when they are not scared:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/MVI_2479.avi

Last edited:
You will sometimes get friends that are a bit too friendly:

Turtle1200.JPG

or that will not stop looking at you:

butterfly_860.JPG

Back
Top Bottom