How Do You Log Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElectroPulse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, all! Just finished my 9th dive yesterday... Definitely planning on doing a lot more in the future! Anyway, the last time I went diving was a couple of months ago... Yesterday when I got back on the boat, I dried off my hands and whipped out my dive logbook. I opened the "Waterproof" package that came with my PADI certification, along with the certainly not-waterproof divebook that came with it as well, and to my dismay found that it was STILL wet from the my last dive (again, a couple months ago). It was damp, the staples were rusted, some of the pages fell out of the book in my hands, and a bunch of my writing from my previous dives was very difficult to make out. Needless to say, I am looking into a new record-keeping system. I'm currently looking around to see if there are any completely waterproof books that wouldn't even need a waterproof pouch. Then, maybe log all dives into a computer program when I arrive home. What would you recommend? I've read that some dive shops require you to show logbooks of past dives in order to prove your experience, so would like a permanent physical copy in addition to a digital copy. Thanks! ElectroPulse

My log book doesn't go near the dive site.

My computer logs all the "hard data" which I download later, and I have a small waterproof notebook for any other details.

I keep a computer/iPad log and have yet to have any operator or instructor ask to see it. But I dive mostly Florida and the Caribbean.

I've just recently got a USB cable for my dive computer and so started using Subsurface for logging dives. I don't think I'll continue the paper log.

I upload my computers to my Mac from time to time, especially now that I need to accumulate some hours on the rebreather to pursue additional training, otherwise, I don't see any reason to log dives.

Last edited:
I definitely recommend using some sort of computer program to at least keep a backup of your paper log. I myself use Subsurface and I backup the XML file that it generates to the cloud. You never know when a fire, flood, tornado, hurricane, etc. could wipe out everything you have.

My dive computers store the information as long as I'm not on an extended dive trip doing more dives than their memory can retain. I log my dives two ways... by downloading one of my computers to my desktop or laptop computer and backing that up by adding them to a digital dive log I have on my web site (for access by dive ops around the world should I forget to bring my c-card to the shop). Of course since I'm working with electronic equipment, I make sure my hands are not wet with salt water when I do this!

i take notes on the boat and log the dive in my log book at home...i use PADI's scubaearth to back them up. if out of town i bring the log to show the operators or refer them to the PADI site..

Dive computer stores it then later download and print to pdf keep adding to a large pdf book that I keep on a SD card with my camera. If I have to show the logbook I give the SD card to open the pdf to scroll through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom