How do you know if you've equalized?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwelling

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, this is kind of dumb, but other than the absence of pain, how do you know if you have equalized successfully? When you hear the popping sound does that mean you've equalized? And is there any exercise you can do on dry land to know whether you are able to equalize or not?

There are no dumb questions here :) You're on the right track, absence of pain AND pressure in your ears means they are equalized. Sometimes you'll hear your ears equalize, sometimes you will only feel the pressure being relieved. Equalization should be done at the FIRST sign of PRESSURE, pain means you've waited too long to equalize. The general rule of thumb is equalize early and often, it's often helpful to equalize your ears on the surface immediately before starting your descent.

Personally I Valsalva to equalize though there are several other methods. I can use this method on dry land and feel the pressure in my ears change. USUALLY when I feel the pressure in both ears change on land I know I'll be able to equalize while underwater though occasionally this isn't the case.
Ber :bunny:

as Ber says, early and often is best.

But if you are hearing a pop then you are probably waiting too long... even in the absence of pain. A valsalva at the surface before descent and every 5'~10' will keep you ahead of things.

TIP: learn to discern the pressure differences in your middle ear as you descend and ascend... then you will be able to control your buoyancy much better. When you get really good at it you will even be able to maintain position in the water column *by ear* with your eyes closed!

Junko, Great question which has provided me was some thought and insite from UP's replie.

Pug, I used to think about equalising. I've never had any problems and I think now it has become more second nature so I don't even relised it when I do.

You bring up a good point about useing your ears to help in maintaining a certain depth. I'll have to start thinking about it again. Problem is I don't think I have ever felt any ear pressure or noticed any differance after about 25' or so. I work at trying to maintain steady breathing and watch my depth gauge to help maintain my depth. Do you feel pressure when your at say 50' or deeper?

I just feel a little bit of pressure relief when I equalize. If I'm having trouble equalizing, sometimes I'll hear a ffffffftttt type sound when they finally clear up. I know, I know...too late.

I use a combination valsalva/swallowing technique. While plugging my nose and exhaling through my nose, I swallow...all at the same time. For me, the valsalva maneuver alone does nothing at all...zip...zero...nada, but the combination opens my tubes up nicely.

GeekDiver once bubbled...
Do you feel pressure when your at say 50' or deeper?
But obviously it is more subtle the deeper you are. I practice eyes closed hovering every so often.

Ears are just one sensory input... there are others... and training yourself to pay attention to them is a good thing.

I pay attention to my drysuit boots too.

When you are horizontal... with your legs bent at the knee and your feet up... what is the highest point of your body?

Where does expanding gas go? What does that feel like?

Pay attention to your crotch too. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom